Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terminal Services 2003 - Application Server Mode

Hi,

I have a question which has been bugging me for quite some time. I installed the TS server on a 2003 SP2 R2 DC, and I am connecting from a Windows XP SP3 machine, with mstsc /admin switch.

When I go to the DC and I enter Add Remove programs, it tells me:

This machine is running in Terminal Services Application Server Mode. Applications are not available to install from the network in this mode.

I know Windows 2000 had two modes, but from what I read in this article : http://ts.veranoest.net/ts_installation.htm the Application Server Mode is simply Terminal Services in the case of Windows 2003.
    Windows Server 2003

With the introduction of 2003, terminology for Terminal Services has changed. What was called "Terminal Services in Application Server mode" on W2K is now simply called "Terminal Services".

What was called "Terminal Services in Remote Administration mode" on W2K is now called "Remote Desktop for Administration". This mode is already pre-installed, and has only to be enabled. This is done in

How can I connect in the Remote Desktop Administration mode when I also have TS installed on the machine, is it possible ?

Thank you
    Vlad

Re: Terminal Services 2003 - Application Server Mode

Well, Vlad... If you already cited that article, have you noticed what is said there:
    do not install Terminal Services (for multi-user access) on a Domain Controller
    So, what exactly are you doing?
    Do you want to be able to connect to the server remote? In this case, you should have installed Terminal Services in Remote Administration mode. This mode allows one connection on the console and two other remote sessions. Summed up, three max. This mode is particularly for management, hence its name. If you need more than 3 connections (like if you have multiple users that need to connect to the same TS server), than you will need to install the Terminal Server service in Application mode (and this is not to be installed on a DC).
    The error message you receive is because you have Terminal Server service running in Application mode, in execute state, and you are trying to install an application (it might be anything, from Notepad to MS SQL Server, you will get the same message). And why is that? Because the server knows that if you install anything in this state, you will only get trouble later. So, the server will not allow you to install anything until you change the state to install.
    This is easy to achieve, by using the command change user /install (and when you finish the installation, change user /execute). To see in which state is the server, use the change user /query command.
    Regarding all this change user stuff and its meanings, I suggest you read this article from Microsoft knowledge base.
    I hope things are clearer now. If not, we're here
    Last edited by sorinso; 12th November 2008, 20:43.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Hi Sorinso,

First of all thank you for the reply. I tried to do a change user /install and I had the same message when I relaunched the Control Pannel : that I was running in Application Mode.
      I will re-verify tommorow as well as check the kb article. I will get back to you then.

thank you.
      Last edited by Vlad Tomsa; 13th November 2008, 18:55.

Comment

? Have you noticed the warning regarding TS and DC on the same server?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

I still have the same setup, with the TS installed on a 2003 DC (sidenote, why is it a no-no?).

Even while connected directly to the machine, without mstsc, when I go for example in Add Remove Programs, it tells me that the machine is running "Terminal Services in Application Server Mode. Applications are not available to install from the network in this mode"

Now, I did a change user /install on a cmd with the same result. I even launched appwiz.cpl from the cmd prompt, the same thing.

I connected myself from a SP3 box with mstsc with /admin and without, I was into install mode and I still saw the same message in the Add Remove Programs. Is this the expected behaviour or am I simply not understanding something.

thank you

Comment

Why to use DC as TS? ( TS server on a 2003 SP2 R2 DC)?
            Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Tomsa View Post
              I still have the same setup, with the TS installed on a 2003 DC (sidenote, why is it a no-no?)
              Other than the security issues? Performance would be a key factor. But more importantly security. I would never consider letting a user login to a DC, no matter how confident I was that the system was suitably locked down.
              Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

It is just a test setup, I do not want to set up a new server just for a test.

I would like to add some more detail regarding the message in the Control Pannel. I have a button called "CD or Floppy" and I can succesfuly install a program from there. Then I have the "Windows Update" button and then there is this white window with the following text written above "Add programs from your network" where I get the message with the "Terminal Services in Application Server Mode".

Someone told me that this is because there is no object configured in AD to control the network setup of the programs and that's it.

I've attached a screen capture to make it clearer.

thanks
                Attached Files

Comment

That white box would list the applications that have been published to you through Group Policy rather than assigned. Assigning an app causes it to be installed automatically. Publishing it allows you to install it if you want to.
                  Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Hi gforceindustries

I've just published an app for the Administrator in the User Configuration, did a gpupdate /force, reconnected and I still have the same message as in my previous capture.

Did I do something wrong here ?

Comment

Does gpresult show that GPO being applied? Have you logged off and logged on? Are you logged in as the user the policy is applied to? Have you tried a reboot?
                      Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
                      X