Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Desktop outside my network

HI,
    I have 1 winxp prof machines with Linksys (WRTP54G) router. i want to enable remote desktop sharing with my home computer (from one of my work machine TO my home pc).
    I have static ip address on the remote desktop?
    i tried with netmeeting,windowsxp remote desktop..etc all is working with in same lan i want to know how to how to configure remote desktop sharingout side the lan.
    I use DYNDNS -- checkusout.homedns.orgxxx (not using the standard port)
    I have the software active on my remote PC
    I have configured my registry RDP-TCP to the port which I am utilizing.
    I have also configured my router to use RDP xxxx xxxx BOTH 192.168.15.140
    I have the software active on my remote PC
    help me
    Thanks,
    Ash

Re: Remote Desktop outside my network

Hi Ash,

The steps that you need to take (some of which you have already done) are:

1) configure the computer to accept Remote Desktop connections and define which users are allowed to connect

2) configure Windows Firewall to allow incoming connections on that port from computers other than those on the local subnet

3) configure your router to forward the appropriate ports to your computer, and set up the router to assign a static IP address

4) ensure that your DynDNS is pointing at the correct IP address

5) enter your DynDNS hostname in a Remote Destop client

If you have set this up as above without success, check if your company network is behind a proxy server which blocks Remote Desktop traffic. If it is configured that way, I would strongly advise that you speak to the IT staff before attempting to circumvent this, and ensure that your company IT policy allows you to do so.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Hi GforceIndustries:

I guess I should have been more clear, I am not able to remote desktop from any location expect my internal network.

1) configure the computer to accept Remote Desktop connections and define which users are allowed to connect -- This is done

2) configure Windows Firewall to allow incoming connections on that port from computers other than those on the local subnet -- What do you mean by this -- on the Remote computer and I clicked on Windows Firewall, Exceptions Tab, and added the port number xxxx and called it remote desktop (there was already a remote desktop port for 3389 which I kept)

3) configure your router to forward the appropriate ports to your computer, and set up the router to assign a static IP address -- I believe I have setup up on my router correctly -- I am using checkusout.homedns.orgxxx to login

4) ensure that your DynDNS is pointing at the correct IP address - this is where I am bit confused the setting within my router shows:

DDNS Service = DynDNS.rg
      User Name = abc
      Password - ******
      Host Name = checkusout.homedns.org
      Internet IP address = 192.168.1.64
      Status = Update Success!

Yet when I go the whatismyip: I get the following:
      Your IP address is 75.34.161.124
      (Now detects many proxy servers)This is whats confusing.

I know this is a lot, but any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
      Ash

Comment

Originally posted by ash3154 View Post
        2) configure Windows Firewall to allow incoming connections on that port from computers other than those on the local subnet -- What do you mean by this -- on the Remote computer and I clicked on Windows Firewall, Exceptions Tab, and added the port number xxxx and called it remote desktop (there was already a remote desktop port for 3389 which I kept)
        If you are using computer A to connect to the desktop of computer B, then Windows Firewall on computer B needs to be setup to allow the Remote Desktop exception to computers other than those on the local subnet. The options given to you in the firewall settings wil be

• Any computer (including those on the Internet)
        • My network (subnet) only
        • Custom list

Ensure that either Any computer is selected, or that the public IP address of computer A is entered if using Custom list.

Keep in mind, that unless you use Custom list in Windows Firewall and only enter the IP of computer A, anybody in the world will be able to connect to your computer and try to login. Use strong passwords and change them frequently. I would strongly advise that you only use this as a short term measure and investigate the possibility of VPN.

As for DynDNS, if you don't think that is working then enter computer B's pubic IP address in the RDP client.
        Last edited by gforceindustries; 4th November 2008, 22:14.
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thanks Gareth,

I guess, the problem is on the DSL side:

I really appreciate all your help.

Now I need to find out how to circumvent Yahoo, if you happen to know how to get around Yahoo please let me know.

Many Thanks,
          Ash

Comment

If you mean circumventing the restrictions imposed by your ISP, then I would recommend against that. Instead I would suggest switching to a supplier that doesn't impose such restrictions.

As for getting around it, short of trying different port numbers, using VPN or tunneling in through SSH, then there's not much I can suggest.
            Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
            X