Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote connection from Windows-based systems to Linux

Hi guys,

I have VMWare installed on WinXP (host). As guest OS I use RHEL 4.4.

My problem is to connect remotely to RHEL from Windows systems using GUI.
    I can connect to RHEL in textual mode using Putty. I can connect from RHEL to any Windows-based system both via RDP and VNC Viewer.

I've browsed many topics, but, half of them didn't work for me and the other half included very awkward explanations (at least for me)..

Does anybody know some powerful, simple-installable, free (preferable) tool, that perform remote GUI connection from Windows to Linux?

Thanks!

Re: Remote connection from Windows-based systems to Linux

Setup a VNC server on the Linux VM.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

If you absolutely must remote directly into the guest (virtualized) OS, then gforceindustries' suggestion is the obvious solution. However, have you just tried to use the web management interface for VMware and then control the guest OS (in your case, RHEL) remotely that way? For instance, if someone needs to access the RHEL VM, just have them point to:

Code:
      http://[you laptop's IP or internal DNS name]:8333/
      ...and then they can log in with an account that you give them. You could set up rather elaborate permissions for which user account has control over which VMs. Or you could keep it simple and just use one login for everybody. This solution allows your remote users of RHEL to be able to have pre-OS control over the machine such as editing the BIOS settings and watching the pre-boot information on the various virtual terminal screens (F1, F4, etc.).

BTW, which version of VMWare are you using?
      Wesley David
      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
      -------------------------------
      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
      Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
      Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

gforceindustries:

How can I do that? As I understood there's only Linux-remotes-Windows way, not in opposite way.. If I'm wrong, can you please provide any link to description of how to do that?

Nonapeptide:

I haven't thought about web interface, maybe because I not familiar with it. I will definitely try this service.

BTW, which version of VMWare are you using?
        VMWare Server 2

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by tech.alexl View Post
          gforceindustries:

How can I do that? As I understood there's only Linux-remotes-Windows way, not in opposite way.. If I'm wrong, can you please provide any link to description of how to do that?
          Install a VNC server on your VM. Connect to it using vncviewer from Windows, by hostname if it resolves, by IP if it doesn't.
          Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Why not simply using putty.
            The CLI from linux is really great

But if you really really want you might read this article: http://bobpeers.com/linux/vnc.php
            Last edited by Dumber; 29th October 2008, 11:49.
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Are you familiar with the concept of VNC and what it is or does? VNC is like the open-source version of Microsoft's remote desktop. (Yes, I know that's a gross over-simplification... don't flame me ) You can make virtually any OS receive a graphical VNC connection from any other OS. Mac OS X even has the capability for a VNC server built in.

I haven't thought about web interface, maybe because I not familiar with it. I will definitely try this service.

VMWare Server 2
              The only way that you can access VMWare Server 2 is from the Virtual Infrastructure web page. Notice that when you go to administer or even just use the VM you're using a web browser. If you point a browser to the URL I gave you you should be able to log in from any other computer on the LAN. Note that by default FireFox refuses self-signed certificates so you'll either have to disable that feature or use another browser since the VMWare cert is self-signed.

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
              Why not simply using putty.
              The CLI from linux is really great
              You're becoming quite the linu>< [email protected], eh?
              Wesley David
              LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
              Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
              Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
                Are you familiar with the concept of VNC and what it is or does?
                Yes, I am. But I thought that in Linux it will be much more difficult.

I was able to connect to VMware web service with https://[your_laptop's_IP_or_internal_DNS_name]:8333/

But, giving administration site access to common user was unlikable. So I browsed more forums, and in the end I've found basic, easy-to-use tool - just what I wanted. It called XWinLogon. Here's the page:
                Thanks to all for the help!

Comment

But I thought that in Linux it will be much more difficult.
                  Google it. Hundreds of guides out there. On most distributions it's as simple as using the package manager to install the VNC server from a repository.
                  Gareth Howells

Comment

Are you sure it is really the right thing to download and install an 14MB application, only to do the same thing that can be achieved using a 900KB, free (I know, they both are), no-install client (I am refering to TightVNC, one of the VNC clients available out there), that will connect to the built-in VNC server in RedHat?
                    Last edited by sorinso; 3rd November 2008, 13:43.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                    -

Comment

But, giving administration site access to common user was unlikable. So I browsed more forums, and in the end I've found basic, easy-to-use tool - just what I wanted. It called XWinLogon. Here's the page:
                      You can create different user accounts or use existing ones (either local or even domain I'm assuming) and then give them the access permissions that you desire on the local laptop. Then from within the VMWare Admin website they can be further restricted as to what they can do with each VM. You don't have to give anyone administrative access that you don't want to.
                      Wesley David
                      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

Working...
                      X