Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to disable Explore when right click on Start

I hided c drive in my computer for TS users in GPO
    However when right click on Start provides Explore where the drive is accessible.

How to remove Explore option from Start?
    "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Re: How to disable Explore when right click on Start

hi, try this gpo

user configuration>administrative templates>windows components>windows explorer>prevent access to drives from my computer, set to enable and choose C
    Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
    I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
    MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

As I mentioned I hided drives: C and D
      But in Explorer all drives are accessible.

The question was:

Should "prevent access to drives from my computer (enable)" hide the drives in Windows Explorer?"
      "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Comment

It wont' hide them but if they try to access one they will get a message saying

this operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer, please contact your system administrator.

they will get that message anyway they attempt to browse them.
        Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
        I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
        MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

"prevent access to drives from my computer (enable)"
          I cannot do that because there are programs that needs to access the drive.

What I did I used Hide Specified drives in My computer GPO.
          But it not hides drives in Windows Explorer.

And Explorer is accessible from right click Start.
          I know that we cannot remove Start.

I asked if possible to hide Explorer.

Comment

Originally posted by mla View Post
            "prevent access to drives from my computer (enable)"
            I cannot do that because there are programs that needs to access the drive
            Your programs will not access drives through My Computer, therefore they will not be affected.
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

However when right click on Start provides Explore where the drive is accessible.

Group Policy/user configuration/administrative templates/windows explorer/remove windows explorer default context menu

enable that & will will stop right click ability on start.

Comment

This is from explain GPO. It disables right click on Desktop or iin Explorer items.
                But not right click on Start. Try it for fun Logically it should work, but...

Removes shortcut menus from the desktop and Windows Explorer. Shortcut menus appear when you right-click an item.
                If you enable this setting, menus do not appear when you right-click the desktop or when you right-click the items in Windows Explorer. This setting does not prevent users from using other methods to issue commands available on the shortcut menus.

Comment

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Start Menu and Taskbar:Remove access to the context menus for the taskbar

Set this to enabled and it will disable right click context menus for the Task Bar and Start button.

Also, the settings to hide and disable access to drives does not affect a programs' ability to access the drives, so your programs will still work. Note that this setting doesn't prevent a user from accessing the drives through other methods such as a command prompt, etc.

Comment

Finaly I did what uk_network suggested.
                    I removed My computer. Than I restricted all drives that is not good.
                    Home dir became not accessible.
                    And when restricted C (in prevent access to drives) It restricted access to Explore from Start.

I reached my goal. But it was a bit confusing when tested.

Thanks.

Comment

joeqwerty,

100%

I used other options in Shortcuts and taskbar but not what you told...
                      This one simply disables right click where I was need.
                      Look, I will just add a point to your reputation ))

Comment

Glad to help. Thanks for the rep points.

Comment

Working...
                        X