Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problems with roaming TS profiles

Hi!

I have terminal farm and roaming TS profiles, sometimes user's profiles stayed in terminal server, can you educate me how to eliminate this?

And second problem is with NTUSER.DAT its size is growing all time, it's problem for me, because I restricted TS profile size by 30 Mb by GPO. Is it way to cut size of NTUSER.DAT or restrict of it growing? What information does it contain?
    Best regards,

Look before you leap!

MCSA 2003, MCDBA 2000
    IT Consultant.

Re: problems with roaming TS profiles

Roaming profiles doesn't mean that the profiles are redirected.
    When a user logs on to a terminal server, the server is going to check if a local profile exists. If one exists, he is going to update the local profile with the profile on the network share. If no local profile exists, the whole profile will be copied from the network share.

You can set "Remove cashed profiles" in a policy. When this is set, the local profile will be removed from the terminal server when the user logs off. Applying this setting will increase the log-on times, as the profile has to be coppied from the share each time the user logs on to the terminal server.

The NTUSER.DAT stores all the settings of the HKCU user hive. This is loaded when the user logs on. You need to identify the cause of the increased data storage in the HKCU hive.
    Last edited by Killerbe; 22nd October 2008, 13:00.
    [Powershell]
    Start-DayDream
    Set-Location Malibu Beach
    Get-Drink
    Lay-Back
    Start-Sleep
    Wake-Up!
    Resume-Service
    Write-Warning
    [/Powershell]

BLOG: Therealshrimp.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Killerbe View Post
      Roaming profiles doesn't mean that the profiles are redirected.
      When a user logs on to a terminal server, the server is going to check if a local profile exists. If one exists, he is going to update the local profile with the profile on the network share. If no local profile exists, the whole profile will be copied from the network share.

You can set "Remove cashed profiles" in a policy. When this is set, the local profile will be removed from the terminal server when the user logs off. Applying this setting will increase the log-on times, as the profile has to be coppied from the share each time the user logs on to the terminal server.

The NTUSER.DAT stores all the settings of the HKCU user hive. This is loaded when the user logs on. You need to identify the cause of the increased data storage in the HKCU hive.
      Thank you for answer!
      I have turned on "Remove cashed profiles", but it doesn't help. Maybe it was mistake to fill up terminal server profile path through script, therefore it's not work correctly...
      Best regards,

Look before you leap!

MCSA 2003, MCDBA 2000
      IT Consultant.

Comment

Let's start from the end: there is nothing wrong in changing user profile attributes through script. I do it a lot, both when I need to create a new user or change an existing one. This is not the cause of the problem you describe, in my opinion.
        Anyway, let's talk about the two problems you describe here:
        - user profiles are not deleted from terminal server. This issue is rather known when dealing with TS. One possible reason might be that the profile is not unloaded properly when the user logs off. A sign to that you'll probably find in the Event log, Application log (look for events generated by UserEnv). The reason for profile not being released is that the user Registry hive has to be closed (and saved as NTUSER.DAT, BTW), but the server updates it at logoff. To solve this problem, make sure you run UPHClean on your TS servers. Regarding the GPO, I hope you talk about Delete cached copies of roaming profiles under Computer Settings\Administrative Templates\System\User Profiles. Another thing you might want to try is setting a higher value in Maximum retries to unload and update user profile (under the GPO folder shown above). The default value is 60 (the server will try once a second, for the number of tries this value is set). Try to set it to 90 and see if it does any difference.
        - the roaming profile keeps getting bigger. Here you have few options, it's not clear to me which suites you. Here is the right place to say that's too bad that you did not give any detail what so ever about your environment (what OS are the server running, what OS are the stations, if all connections are local or there are remote also, are your users corporate users or it's a public place, how much available space you have on the servers and so on).
        What I would try for a start is to use the setting Prevent Roaming Profile changes from propagating to the server (in the same place as above). Another thing that will help is changing the profile from Roaming to Mandatory. This will prevent any change on the local profile to be updated to the roaming profile at logoff. This might be problematic when you talk about corporate users (people that come to work will not like that the file they left on the Desktop yesterday is not there today). But it was the best solution for me. And BTW, my users' profile are no more than 1.5MB in size. You might want to check why are your profiles so big.

Well, you have some homework here. Don't forget to come back with results, especially if your problem was solved.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Thank you Sorino for advice!

I'll try it and write results here!
          Best regards,

Look before you leap!

MCSA 2003, MCDBA 2000
          IT Consultant.

Comment

Originally posted by moggy View Post
            Thank you Sorino for advice!

I'll try it and write results here!
            Yes! It really works! UPHClean solved my problem!
            Best regards,

Look before you leap!

MCSA 2003, MCDBA 2000
            IT Consultant.

Comment

Cool, I am glad you solved your problem!
              Thank you for posting back with the outcome...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
              -

Comment

Working...
              X