Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS on Server 2k3 with SBS 2k3 as primary

Ok, here's the scenario

The primary server is SBS 2003 and does everything (AD, mail, dhcp, file/print, etc.). This has 10 licenses that are User Licenses.

We then have a separate box running Server 2003, with 10 TS CALs on it; the machine is setup with it's only role being Terminal Services.

On the SBS 2003 machine, the TS server has been added through "Manage my Server" as being a server, and shows up in the relevant OU in AD.

What happens though, is when a user tries to logon to the TS server using the account that is setup on the domain (e.g. the SBS box), it rejects the username/password.

Any ideas

Re: TS on Server 2k3 with SBS 2k3 as primary

Not sure on the logistics behind this but one question from me.
    Is the user allowed to logon through TS?
    Have you given them permission to do so?
    What is the reject message?

Ok, so it was like 3 questions...
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Yep, allowed to logon through TS (as noted on the user profile in AD?) and I would assume permission is allowed? I should only have to create the user on the SBS box wouldn't I?

Also, is there a way to make sure whether the 2003 server is auth'ing against the SBS?

Re: the error message, I'm not anywhere near the machine atm so couldn't tell you...

Comment

Users need to be a member of the "Remote Desktop Users" group on the TS server.

On the TS server:
        Start > Programs > Administrative Tools > Computer Management.
        Expand "Local Users & Groups"
        Click on "Groups"
        Double click "Remote Desktop Users"
        Add "Domain Users" user group.

Your users will now be able to log on to the TS server.

Hope this helps.
        If the information you receive helps please let us know and leave reputation points where appropriate.

The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do. - Ted Nelson

Comment

Yep, they are already sitting in that group.

Which leads me to another question... the accounts listed in Local Users & Groups > Users is different to what shows up in AD. Should this not be mirrored ?

Comment

It sounds to me like a TS license server problem. Have you installed Terminal Server Licensing and if you have on which server? Although you can install the license server on the actual TS server in my experience it's better to install it on a DC.

No, the accounts on the TS server should not be the same. The TS server accounts are local to that server and not the AD.
            If the information you receive helps please let us know and leave reputation points where appropriate.

The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do. - Ted Nelson

Comment

Originally posted by g00ner View Post
              It sounds to me like a TS license server problem. Have you installed Terminal Server Licensing and if you have on which server? Although you can install the license server on the actual TS server in my experience it's better to install it on a DC.
              The licenses are installed on the TS server. So should I remove them from there, and install on the SBS (which is the DC)?

Originally posted by g00ner View Post
              No, the accounts on the TS server should not be the same. The TS server accounts are local to that server and not the AD.
              So do I need to create an account on the TS for each user? Or should the list of accounts on the TS be empty, apart from your standard accounts e.g. Administrator

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by mrflashback View Post
                The licenses are installed on the TS server. So should I remove them from there, and install on the SBS (which is the DC)?
                I would. The SBS is the license server for everything else anyway.

Originally posted by mrflashback View Post
                So do I need to create an account on the TS for each user? Or should the list of accounts on the TS be empty, apart from your standard accounts e.g. Administrator
                No. The user should be able to connect using normal domain login credentials. The authority for domain users to connect to TS is via the Domain Users group being added to the Remote Desktop Users group on the TS server.

Try looking at these:
                http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc671973.aspx

Comment

Working...
                X