• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maximum Number of Users before Performance Issue

I have a low end server:
    CPU: Athlon 3200 Winchester
    RAM: 2 GB

Question: What is the maximum number of users I can have connecting to this Server through remote desktop connection over the internet before users experience performance issues?

If I were to get a new more powerful server, how many people can connect to it via remote desktop connection before performance issues?

Thanks for help,

Re: Maximum Number of Users before Performance Issue

The issue depand on the applications type, using/not using local driver mapping, sound etc....
    Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Originally posted by HotDay2222 View Post

I have a low end server:
      CPU: Athlon 3200 Winchester
      RAM: 2 GB

Question: What is the maximum number of users I can have connecting to this Server through remote desktop connection over the internet before users experience performance issues?

If I were to get a new more powerful server, how many people can connect to it via remote desktop connection before performance issues?

Thanks for help,
      Assuming you're using Terminal Services, with proper licensing etc and a Domain Controller on the same subnet; assuming the clients are running Windows XP clients; assuming the users are running an application with moderate memory, processor and network requirements; and assuming there is nothing else "special" about your situation, I would expect you to be able to connect about 30-40 users. With more RAM and a more powerful server (but a hungry application) I have connected 55 users and not seen any degradation.

BUT

Really, Yuval is right. It's impossible to tell for sure without knowing more about your setup. The one thing I would definitely upgrade is RAM. Get as much as your operating system and your budget will handle.

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Sorry for not being more specific.

In addition to what starts up automatically (ie. Anti virus) users will be using:
        Microsoft Word
        Microsoft Excel
        Microsoft Outlook
        Internet Explorer/Mozilla

Clients will be running Windows XP or Vista.
        No sounds.
        No local driver mapping.
        Nothing special about my case.

I want to emphasize that the server is in my office building and the clients are around the world, so they will be connecting to the server via Internet and not LAN.

1) What is the maximum number of users that can connect without degradation if users run the above mentioned programs?
        2) If I get a T1 line, to what would the maximum number of users change to?

Thank you for the help
        Last edited by HotDay2222; 22nd September 2008, 15:19.

Comment

I would say that my initial assessment was probably reasonably accurate; a moderate system running moderate apps. Big spreadsheets with heavy calcs might get a bit sluggish but everything else should be fine.

I don't think that YOUR link to the internet is your bottleneck; and anyway you haven't specified what it is at the moment. Anyway - a T1 is unlikely to make an appreciable difference (unless you currently have a REALLY slow (circa 128k) link). Any 2Mb link will be far more than you need. (this statement is based upon the fact that our organisation has 19,000 users or thereabouts and until recently we had only two 2Mb pipes to the 'net).

The bottleneck is likely to be in the speed of your client VPN (you ARE going to use VPN based connections from your clients, right??) and the speed of the internet as a whole. Terminal Services RDC is not bandwidth intensive to any great degree - on a thick client the screen and cursor is rendered by the client and the server simply sends screen updates.
          Last edited by Stonelaughter; 22nd September 2008, 17:28.

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Comment

My current connection is cable (2 MB).

But a few replies to this post have me confused:

1) Isn't RDP a natively encrypted protocol? Why would I use VPN?...I read this directly from Microsoft's website.
            2) Yuval14 mentioned local driver mapping would affect the maximum number of users that can connect before performance degradation.....Huh?

Also, if I were to upgrade one piece of hardware, regardless of cost, which one would increase performance the most?

tHANK you for assistance

Comment

Originally posted by HotDay2222 View Post
              My current connection is cable (2 MB).

But a few replies to this post have me confused:

1) Isn't RDP a natively encrypted protocol? Why would I use VPN?...I read this directly from Microsoft's website.
              OK - yes - RDP is natively encrypted. So nobody can get into your RDP session. So what??? What about the OTHER 65534 ports?!?!

You use a VPN to protect you from attack; you block all incoming ports on the firewall except the ones you WANT coming in, and you put your VPN Endpoint on the firewall. This way, only people who are ALLOWED to connect to your network can connect, and they can then use whatever protocols they want over the tunnel.

Tom

Comment

This VPN RDP combo is a whole new animal for me.
                Just spent the last 5 hours reading about it.

Getting back to my question #2,
                2) Yuval14 mentioned local driver mapping would affect the maximum number of users that can connect before performance degradation.

True, False - Why?

I ask because I wanted to map shared folder as 'Save Your Files Here' Drive, which is shadow copied and mirrored.

Comment

Hi!
                  The best way to do this is go to Active Directory Users and Computers and map home folder in Terminal Services Profile.

About performance it can affect if 40 users try to copy 500 Mb file at the same time.
                  Best regards,

Look before you leap!

MCSA 2003, MCDBA 2000
                  IT Consultant.

Comment

Working...
                  X