No announcement yet.

Licensing 2K - 2K8

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Licensing 2K - 2K8

How do I transfer the Licensing from 2000TS to 2008 TS?

Right now I have citrix metaframe xp - mgmt wants to use the 2008 terminal server to publish application/web sites without using citrix metafram xp or latest citrix.

Additionally Iwhen I set up the calculator to be viewed I had to go through 3 logon windows.
    How can I limit to 2 - as it is for our current citrix env?

Thanks for any info/suggestion

Re: Licensing 2K - 2K8

1. You can limit 1 session on no limit under Win 2008.

2. You will need to buy Win 2008 OS license + Win 2008 TS CAL (and maybe CAL for Win 2008 )
    for using Win 2008 as TS server.
    Last edited by biggles77; 27th August 2008, 17:34. Reason: Remove smilie from (brackets)
    Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn:, Blog:

Hi there

We need to retire an old WS 2003 which serve as TS License server and need to transfer all user CALs to new WS 2008 R2.
      Is this possible without having to purchase new CALs for users who connects to server?

Thanks in advance,

Probably one for Microsoft, but if your RDP Server is NOT a Server 2003 TS box, you will need to buy new licenses.
        If it is just the licensing role, but the actual RDP boxes are still 2003, I don't see why not, but have never tried it
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Just installed something that may suit depending on your requirements. There is a trial version that can be downloaded. TSPlus . I would like to point out that I am in NO way connected with this company so I am not promoting them. Just an option that may be an alternative to installing, configuring and licensing MS Terminal Server/Remote Desktop Session or whatever name they call it now. I dumped this on a Server 2012 R2 Standalone Server and had it configured in about 10 minutes (well I did have to reboot the Server) with Terminal session running.

Guys thanks a lot for your help!

Btw, I'll definitely try this TSPlus as alternative solution.