No announcement yet.

Easiest way to add a 3rd RD Connection?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easiest way to add a 3rd RD Connection?

Hello All,

I've never setup terminal server before...i currently have a win2003 standard server
    running. We are putting up an application that has been giving us some issues with connectivity-however i was able to have users log on to the application using remote desktop to the win2003 server and they are processing fine through this method.

What is the easiest way to add a 3rd, 4th user to access the server via remote desktop?

thanks very much in advance,

Re: Easiest way to add a 3rd RD Connection?

When you ask about 3rd and 4th connection, I suppose you already are using the built-in two Remote Desktop connections. I want to remind you that these connections are for administrative purposes, not for applications. Using it as (probably) the system is set at the moment might be a breaking of the EULA.
    Anyway, the response to your question is: you need to transform your Win2003 server into a Terminal Services server. This means to add the role of TS, to purchase TS CAL licenses, to have a licensing server and so on.
    I think that with the data you provided so far, SBS server will be more appropriate for you. I am not accustomed with the product, so let's see what the experts will have to say about it.
    Yuval, what do you think? Sounds fair, or I'm talking nonsense again ?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Re: Easiest way to add a 3rd RD Connection?

Hi Sorin,

thanks very much. Yes-i started poking around and realized Remote desktop users
      and Terminal services users are two different objects. We are running a new blackbaud application that uses SQL express and the clients cant connect, while the organization is troubleshooting i just turned on the RD clients so we could still
      process work. Hopefully we'll fix our connectivity issues and negate the need to startup terminal server.

many thanks again
      pete from guam