Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terminal Server issues

Hi all,

I have created a new windows 2000 Advance server and made it a terminal server but xp clients and windows 2000 clients cannot connect to it and get the following error messages.

"Because of a security error the client computer could not connect to the remote computer, verify that you are logged on to the network and try connecting again"

And

In the eventvwr on the the new TS server there is the following entry.

The terminal server cannot issue a license.
    Error - 1004

Now I have looked on the web and tried to setup in the reg the default TS License server but I am stuck now. We have a activated license server on the network which the server can connect to etc but I am stuck why clients cannot connect.

Anyone give me some idea's where I am going wrong?

Thanks
    Kind Regards,
    Simon

Re: Terminal Server issues

Now that you have a licence server which you can connect to, you have to add some licences to it...

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

So am I wrong in thinking the os incluse a cal for ts then?

Does it not issue a temp one either?

Thanks
      Kind Regards,
      Simon

Comment

Have you "Activated" the licence server? If so, you should get 120 days before it will stop issuing licences - you're supposed to use those 120 days to buy your TS CALs... which are not included with Windows XP, Terminal Services or Windows Server 2003.

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
          Have you "Activated" the licence server? If so, you should get 120 days before it will stop issuing licences - you're supposed to use those 120 days to buy your TS CALs... which are not included with Windows XP, Terminal Services or Windows Server 2003.
          Hi,

Yes the service is activated ok and it has spare licenses free as the thin clients can get one etc but the xp and 2000 machines are getting errors?

Thanks
          Kind Regards,
          Simon

Comment

Can you post screenshots showing the CALs you have installed in TS Licence Manager?

Tom

Comment

Hi,

Am I being really dumb?

Thanks
              Kind Regards,
              Simon

Comment

No, not at all... I'm just making sure I cover all the usual bases before I try to figure out what's wrong. As to why they can't get licences, I'm a bit stuck; it looks like SOME of them have got one... have you checked "the usual suspects" - i.e. DNS config on the clients who can't get one?

Also I'm not sure whether the licences are Client-OS specific; i.e. do you need XP CALs for an XP Client accessing a 2000 TS?

Someone with more experience will no doubt be along soon - I've reached the end of my memory as regards TS Licencing as it's been 4 years since I worked with it...

Tom

Comment

Anyone got any suggestions for me?

Many thanks,
                  Si
                  Kind Regards,
                  Simon

Comment

Hi all,

I am still lost with this problem!!

If I put a brand new thin client on the lan and connect it to a terminal server it will get a permenant CAL from the license server but any 2k or xp client wont.

All I get in the eventvwr is "the terminal server cannot issue a client license"

I have added in the registry the license server and checked dns and all seems ok.

Anyone got any ideas?

Many thanks,
                    Simon
                    Kind Regards,
                    Simon

Comment

Did you reviwed:

http://support.citrix.com/forums/thr...sageID=187410&

?

BTW... Its recommanded to move to Win 2008 TS
                      Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Thanks for your reply!

I will look at that now to see if it helps me!

I would love to upgrade to 2008 ts but it's not going to happen for a long time...........

Cheers
                        Si
                        Kind Regards,
                        Simon

Comment

I have been thinking and I am wondering if my problem is down to the server name that I am using.

The license server is called Grp_tserver and I am thinking that the new ts server may have issues with the netbios name?

Am I on to something or just barking up the wrong tree?

Cheers,
                          Simon
                          Kind Regards,
                          Simon

Comment

I have managed to get it to work sort of.

If I delete the following keys from the registry on both the TS license server and the new Ts server it works BUT only until the next reboot and I have to do the above again.

The keys are the follwoing.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \System\CurrentControlSet\Services\TermService\Par ameters & Delete both X509 Certificates

So this works and every client I tried can connect ok but if the new server is rebooted I need to delete the above on both servers and reboot.

Anyone know of a reason for the above?

Thanks
                            Kind Regards,
                            Simon

Comment

Plase dont use "_" in domain/domputer/username....
                              Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Working...
                              X