Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RDP printing defaults and Vmware esx 3.0 or trust?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RDP printing defaults and Vmware esx 3.0 or trust?

I think this is inherent in RDP hence the catagory. Apologies if incorrect.

Brief outline.

A number of users from external company / AD domain (no trust in place) access xp
    Virtual machines hosted on one of our company domains (ESX 3.0) said company users’ access these VMs through
    xp desktops via RDP connection. The xp VMs use Attachmate 8 to pull data from a Mainframe session hosted on Unisys e7000. Additionally some legacy data is accessed through mapped drives; this all works without a hitch.
    At present the only viable way to connect to the virtual machines (for 3rd party) is through RDP (all clients with static ips and rule out through firewall).

Problem

The virtual machines use the printers attached to the host machine
    (network print q in external domain). The problem with RDP is when the client logs off, the
    configuration changes for the printer are cached locally for the user so
    that he or she does not need to re-create the settings. The exception to
    this is the Print Defaults page setting. This is the problem we need to
    fix.

Workaround 1
    We have considered Adding a .bat or .reg to set printer properties to the
    required result on the VM. Expect this will be specific to printer i.e.
    should users change printer then go through this process again for each
    new printer. Which given the company in question is likely to happen.

Workaround 2
    Or is this a question of setting up a trust between the two companies allowing the virtual machines to access the print q? Then putting the firewall rules in place.

Workaround 3
    ?

Re: RDP printing defaults and Vmware esx 3.0 or trust?

Can you provide a clear information on the problem? Its seems that everything is working as it should..
    Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Hi Yuval,

Thanks for the interest, sorry for any woolly thinking been working on this in isolation and could do with a sounding board.

and yes everything works as is should all bar the printing settings changing each time the user logs off the RDP session.

For example, User starts RDP session to VMware image (xp sp2) prints from an application hosted on VMware to the printer, Tray 1 is automatically selected and users have to press the 'go' button on the Printer for each page to be printed. The reason is because 'Letter' is the page type selected on the printer settings, as opposed to 'A4'. If A4 is selected first, then a print is requested, the print works properly.
      However when the VMware session is logged out and then back into, the paper type reverts to 'Letter' or in other words the printing defaults set by user are lost.

Now writing this I am thinking could this be related to the default settings on the print server?

Any comments welcome.

Comment

The client obtain the default settings from the print server.
        You can use some script to setup a custom settings while user is login or create another
        printer on the server with a new settings and connect it to the clients.
        Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Found a fix for this issue!

The problem I had was accessing the printserver settings in the 3rd party Domain (had no account). So had only the virtual machine to implement a fix on.

Used a .reg file to modify HKCU printers DevmodePerUser and DevModes2 on test VM through VI client rebooted logged in through RDP and bingo she works! Only drawback is printer specific so add new printers to the Host and will have to apply .reg for each one.

I will test this thoroughly before rolling out to production template. Should any issues arise I will append to this post.

Thanks for your input Yuval.

Regards
          FBFeeder

Comment

Working...
          X