No announcement yet.

Remote Desktop Client unable to login on Termina Server.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Desktop Client unable to login on Termina Server.

1. I have a single domain controller place in our Head Office Location.
    2. I have a Terminal Server windows 2008 member of DC its place our branch remote location.
    3. Heade Office and branch connectivity based on WAN 512 Kbps.
    4. Our Branch users have Thin Client HP/Accer/WYSE.
    5. Branch Users are loging on Branch Terminal Server which is Plave in Branch its also member of DC. and branch users are authentication with domain users ID. all users are loging sucsesfully on branch terminal server with his domain ID.

When our Brach link is down our branch users are fasing this error and they are unable to loging on Terminal server.

The error I get in the Remote Desktop client is this:
    The system cannot log you on due to the following error:
    The specified domain either does not exist or cannot be contacted.

Can i loging my branch users on Terminal Server with his domain ID either branch link is down i mean with domain is unavailable.

M. Zeeshan
    [email protected]
    Last edited by nibzeeshan; 13th May 2008, 09:49.

Re: Remote Desktop Client unable to login on Termina Server.

Clients need a domain controller to authenticate to when logging on, when your WAN link is down this is expected behavior. To get around this you could either place a DC (or RODC if you're using 2008' ) at the branch office, or set the Cached Logons security option on the terminal server.

This setting is in Security Settings | Local Policies | Security Options | Interactive Logon: Number of previous logons to cache. The default is 10, depending on how many users you have accessing the terminal server you may want to change this. This will allow those users who have previously successfully logged on to the TS to logon using cached credentials when the link to the DC is down.

Last edited by clayshek; 13th May 2008, 14:13.

Hello Clay:

Thanks for your reply, First i want to do clear is that we dont want to place a DC in branch office. and we did not installed the DC in branch office. We are facing problem when branch link is down Thin client users are unable to logon on terminal server as you know that thin client users are using RDP prorocol for login on terminal server.

I have been try you last option is we need to required changes in security option Interactive users logon its default setting is 10 last user. We have just 3 users in branch they were facing same problem. I have also change the default users 10 to 20 but same problem.

Note:- I have change the Interactive login setting on branch terminal server. Do i need to changes also in domain security policy.

The corrent way is to install a backup connection to the center or (less recommanded) instal DC/GC/DNS in each office.
        Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn:, Blog: