Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terminal session Dispalay resolution problem

Hi,
    I discovered a situation that never saw before when in remote desktop session.
    I need to access Virtual machines on the laptop by Remote Desktop from the same laptop.

The problem that I have when on Remote Desktop is that the resolution of my screen is very high and in RDP I cannot manage in any way the resolution of remote machine (in display properties it shows the native resolution of actual laptop). The result is that on my 15" 1680x1050 the icons and letters are very small. Also I cannot manage DPI. Sure it's not related to VM it's just RDP. When I change the resolution of display in Remote Desktop promt box it resizes the RD window size but not actual remote machine desktop. I met this issue first time. Never thought about it. But now I am kind of limited.

I have a feeling that RDP problem could be fixed somewhere in registry...
    Is there a cure for the problem?
    Thx.
    "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Re: Terminal session Dispalay resolution problem

You can use MSTSC command to customize the display settings:

http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window...4cce51033.mspx

Also, please use RDP 6 Client.
    Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Yuval,
      I changed the display settings in default.rdp.
      It brought me the same result as I mentioned in my initial post.

If I open rd in display settings I can change the resolution.
      In my case I need to lower the resolution.

When I reduce the resolution the Window of remote desktop becomes smaller but the text and icons size is the same.

When I right click on Desktop - Properties the resolution is taking from the host computer is not changeble.

This is a problem.
      Other suggestion.

Thanks,
      Michael.
      "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Comment

Forgot to mention that I RDP from VISTA Business. So should not be concerns about client.

Comment

This issue is not new, it was always around.
          What it is important is the client's screen resolution. After all, the RDC screen is just another window on your laptop's screen. As such, it is displayed under your laptop's screen resolution.
          From the RDP file's settings, you can decide the size of the RDC's window on your laptop. It doesn't matter what is the size, it will always be under the client's resolution. If the resolution of the machine you are connecting to is smaller than the client's, then the screen will be adapted to match (the screen will look stretched). If it's the other way around, than it will look compressed.
          From within the RDC screen, you can open the Display Properties, but most options there are read-only.
          So, AFAIK, there is no solution to the issue. Actually, I can hardly define it an "issue". We are talking about a window here, so it is pretty logical that this is it.
          Last edited by sorinso; 5th May 2008, 05:21. Reason: typos

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

For me it is an issue
            This statement is not correct: (may be in my case. You can try it to double check):
            >>>>If the resolution of the machine you are connecting to is smaller than the client's, than the screen will be adapted to match (the screen will look stretched). <<<<<

When changed the resolution on a destination pc to 800x600 and connected with RDC, the resolution is native of the laptop 1680x1050. What is strange that on the laptop I increased DPI for the comfort of reading. And this setting is ignored. So DPI is low.

However a couple of minutes ago I found that even the resolution is not adjustable and Advanced button is greyed out. I clicked appearance and was able to change it. Basicaly it means that I can change the DPI of destination pc. And my problem is solved.

Conclusion: the resolution is taken from the source pc but the DPI settings from the destination.

Anyway thanks... Your participation pushed me to dig in more...

Toda,
            Michael.

Comment

Sorry that couldn't help more.
              After reading your answer, I feel that few clarifications are needed, nevertheless:
              - I meant that the issue you presented is not new, not that is not an issue. If it bothers you enough to request assistance in the forum, it is an issue. Actually, it was dealt with here in the past, but, as I said at the end, I am not aware of any available solution for it.
              - I wasn't clear enough in the statement you quoted. Let's say you are connecting from laptop to a server. I meant that if the resolution of the server is lower than that of the laptop and you're connecting full screen, you will see the server in the same resolution as the laptop. Meaning, that the server's screen will be stretched to match the laptop's. Like you said

Good luck with the issue.
              We'll be more than grateful if you'll post back a solution, when one will be found.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
              -

Comment

Basically I found the solution.
                As I mentioned the resolution for client is taken from the source pc and is not changeable.
                Eventually I clicked appearance and was able to choos large fonts. This made a trick. I can use nicely the session. As soon it's done once.
                It keeps the settings after relogin.

Thx.
                Michael.

Comment

Cool workaround, Michael!
                  Thanks a lot for following this up !

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Little add...
                    Accessing Vista is perfect because DPI is in Vista format and is tuneable without limit.
                    So I have the same hight resolution and high DPI for 2008 servers as for my host Vista Business.

Comment

Working...
                    X