Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Group Policy

Hi,

I have a question regarding group policy.

Normaly i install a terminal server at a company and everyone works on it.
    So i create a user group policy with specific settings and apply it on the OU the users are resided.

Now, i have several users who work both, on a terminal server and locally on de computer.
    The computer is a member of the domain.

Is it possible to create a user group policy for the terminal server and a user group policy locally?

Re: Group Policy

Look into loopback processing. Check out the first option in Method 2:

Use the Group Policy loopback feature to apply User Configuration GPO settings to users only when they log on to the Terminal Servers. When GPO Loopback processing is enabled for the computers in an OU that contains only Terminal Servers, those computers apply the User Configuration settings from the set of GPOs that apply to that OU. Additionally, those computers apply the User Configuration settings from GPOs that are linked to or inherited by the OU that contains the user's account.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/260370

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

That's exacly what i need!!! thanks.

So,

I have a seperate OU for the terminal server and an OU where the users are resided.

Do i need to create a seperate Group Policy and link it to where the users are and enable the Loopback Processing?

Than if i'm right the users will have 2 group policy's?

Comment

If, for example you have 2 OU's ("User Accounts" and "Terminal Servers")

You configure a user group policy on the "User Accounts" OU and a computer and user group policy on the "Terminal Servers" OU. When the terminal server boots up it will process the computer section of the "Terminal Servers" group policy. When a user logs on it will process the group policy from "User Accounts" but then process the user group policy from "Terminal Servers" and replace / merge (Depending on what you configure) the new policy.

Hope this makes sense.

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Ok, i have tested it and it works. only this will also effect the Administrator user....
          Is there a way to change this?

Comment

Use Security Filtering to only apply the policy to relevant users / security groups:

Q.

Can I apply a Group Policy object directly to a security group?
            A.

You cannot apply a Group Policy object directly to a security group. However, you can use security filtering to refine which users or computers will receive and apply Group Policy settings. The Group Policy Management Console (GPMC) is the tool to manage security filtering. For more information about security filtering, see the Core Group Policy Technical Reference.
            http://technet2.microsoft.com/window...ed/gp/faq.mspx

Michael
            Michael Armstrong
            www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

Great.... i managed to fix it.All my questions are resolved now!!

Thanks for the help.

Comment

No problemo - That's what were here for.

Michael
                Michael Armstrong
                www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                X