No announcement yet.

About to configure a terminal server...

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About to configure a terminal server...

I am about to add a terminal server to a Small Business Server 2003 network so five remote users can run an application. I just wanted to clarify a couple of points based on a problem someone I know ran into.

Do I add the server as a member server and configure it on a 'per user' basis before adding the TS CALs?

The reason I ask, someone I know had configured a TS and I think they used 'per connection' setting in Windows Server 2003. After adding the TS CALs, it showed a 'not applicable' message in the TS licensing.

A Google of this seems to indicate the server should have been configured 'per user' and I do not want to make the same mistake.

Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Re: About to configure a terminal server...

Step 2: Choose the Licensing Mode

To use Terminal Server in your organization, you are required to have a Windows Server 2003 license for every terminal server that you deploy in your organization as well as Terminal Server Client Access Licenses (CALs) for devices that access the terminal servers. For terminal servers that are running Windows Server 2003, there are two types of Terminal Server CALs:
    Per Device
    Per User
    Which CAL you choose depends on how you plan to use Terminal Server. By default, Terminal Server is configured in Per Device mode, but it can be switched to Per User mode using the Terminal Services Configuration tool (TSCC.msc). You can serve both license types from the same license server. For more information about how to set your licensing mode, see "Hosting Applications with Terminal Server" at the Microsoft TechNet Web site (
    A Terminal Server license server on your network manages the Terminal Services CALs. A license server stores all Terminal Server CAL tokens that have been installed for a terminal server and tracks the license tokens that have been issued to clients. For more information about Terminal Server licensing, click Start, click Help and Support, and then search for "Terminal Server Licensing overview."
    Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn:, Blog:

Thank you for your post Yuval. I reveiwed the TechNet links on deployment and appreciate the the material.

I am at a loss why my associate ran into the problem with his licensing and I do not want to make the same mistake.

I have extra SBS CALs so that is not an issues for adding a member server. The remote access clients will be desktop computers in a real estate organization so as best as I can determine, I should be installing this 'per connection' and not 'per user'.

I purchased 5 TS CALS and I note on my eOpen page you are not provided an install key. At appears I need that after I set up the licenisng server. This brings up a second question, do I install the licensing server on the SBS server or the TS server?

Network Engineers do IT under the desk

You can install the TS licensing server on the TS but it's not recommended. Better to install it on your SBS and configure the TS to use the SBS for licensing or have the TS automatically locate the licensing server. Also, to clarify the TS licensing modes:

Per Device licensing requires 1 TS license per computer no matter how many users use that computer.

Per User licensing requires 1 TS license per user no matter how many computers that user uses.

We use Per User licensing as our users connect from computers in the office and at home. In other words we have "multi-computer users" instead of "multi-user computers".

License servers do not consume a significant amount of resources (license service only up to 15MB of RAM and very little of CPU resources), so there is little need for a dedicated system.
          As there wont be much clients I would recommend installation on the same machine to avoid network discovery problems that you can have by setting server to SBS server. And if SBS is down, you can still use your terminal server.