No announcement yet.

Remote Desktop Connection

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Desktop Connection

Hi you all,
    I would like to connect to a remote computer with O.S. other than windows xp using the rdp tool. My computer have win xp installed.
    Can i do it?

Hi :

i understood that you want to connect to remote computer by your computer ..
    i can explain to you how to conncet a remote computer also to your computer ..

if u have windows Xp ( for example ) in your house you just open a port number 119 from your registery .. and after that you can connect your computer remotly from another computer.

** to open oprt 119 from Reg. :
    start --> Run --> Regedit

/HKEY_lOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\crrentControlSet\Control \Terminalserve\Winstation\RDP-Tcp

after you get it you must have option called " Port Number " and there you can change the number to 119.

after you have opened the port you must have the IP for your connection to the internet. from another computer you must open the RDP and write there the IP from your computer with the Port 119.

Example :

------------------------ OR
    you can install Remote Administartor in your computer and in the other computer ..
    With Remoter Administartor you can connect your computer or other computer remotly with port 21.

Thanx for your replay, but

this is not what i was asking about. I put the blame on me.
      I am working in a lan environment and want to connect to a server with windows 2000 server installed. The windows 2000 server O.S. doesn't include the RDP tool with it like windows XP does. Is there anything i can do to make it work?
      I hope this time i made my self clear.

OK ...

you are working in windows 2000 environment .. you must write for us if you have access to the server locally ..

if yes :

you download the RDP from here :

if not :
        you must have permission for that , if not write for me and i will tell how you can gain access the server if you don't have permissions ..

I too was wondering what the answer was about...

Anyway, when you d/l the RDP client, make sure you get the v5.2, it's the latest and has some nice features that v5.1 doesn't have.

Daniel Petri
          Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

still it seems like you didn't understand my question

The rdp client allow me to use a computer (other than win xp) as a "controller". This is not what i am looking for.
            I want to use my win xp workstation to "control" a computer with win 2k.
            the win xp already have the client installed by default. The win 2k will be the host. Again, i want to connect a win 2k server using my win xp workstation.
            Thanx, and sorry for being nagger.

You're not a nagger, you're just not listening.

Client - any OS, incl. XP, must have client software installed. XP has RDP v5.1, I suggest installing v5.2.

Server - Terminal Services installed (if W2K Server), or RDP enabled (if Win2003 Server). Win2003 also has TS, but that's not the case. XP Pro also has the RDP server side, but will only allow one user to connect to the console session. W2K in Remote Admin TS mode will allow 2 connections, as long as they are members of the Administrators group. W2K Pro does NOT have TS services on it. Win2003 in RDP mode will allow the same 2 connections as W2K Server, but also one more connection to the session console, just like the RDP on XP Pro.

Now what's the question?

Daniel Petri
              Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
              MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Thank you very much

I am a fast learner, you just have to explain slow.