No announcement yet.

No more printer mapping after cleanspl.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No more printer mapping after cleanspl.

Hi,

We had a probleme here with the printer spooler service stopping whenever people would logon using terminal services. Since the server has 1 used printer on it, i used cleanspl and clean the tcp/ip and usb configs. I had to reinstall the Standard TCP/IP Port but printers won't map anymore when someone logs on. Nothing in the event viewer as well. Someone could help please ?

Regards,

trep

Re: No more printer mapping after cleanspl.

AFAIK, the cleanspl sets the print susbsystem to it's "out of the box" state. Could it be that you just need to reload the printer drivers for the appropriate printers on the TS?

Comment

I actually reinstalled 2 printers that are shared on others PC. They installed successfully. I installed the same shared printer on my PC (to make sure me and the server have the same drivers). I then connected to the TS server and no printers did map.

trep

Comment

Did you check the TS config and make sure that the Client settings tab does NOT have a check next Windows Printer mapping? Putting a check in the box will disable printers from mapping.
        Jake G

Former Microsoft MVP - IIS ('02-'06)

Comment

Originally posted by JakeG View Post
          Did you check the TS config and make sure that the Client settings tab does NOT have a check next Windows Printer mapping? Putting a check in the box will disable printers from mapping.
          Yea, it's unchecked.

Comment

Ok, let's get a little more info then.

What is the TS? 2000/2003?
            Clients? XP and/or 2k? Vista?

RDP client version? Did you check the RDP settings to make sure it's trying to map the drives? (Options->Local Resources)

Printer model? Directly attached or networked?

Sorry for the extra questions... just trying to be thorough.
            Jake G

Comment

Just giving a little more infos

I've compared the entries in the event log with another server we have here. The working server states in the event log when a printer is correctly configured in TS. However, on the non-working server, there are no entries at all saying that the printer was configured correctly (no entries also saying it couldn't install it).

Just to answer some of your questions. I've been connecting to this TS server for the past 2 years without any problems mapping the printers. Then started this spooler problem and then i cleaned everything using cleanspl. Since then, no more mapping. Nothing changed since the yesterday, same clients (rdp and os), same server (rdp and os), same printers etc.

I'm testing it out with 2 printers, one is a networked one and the other one is a USB printer shared.

Best regards,

trep

Comment

Try giving this a read:
                http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm

It talks about service dependancies that aren't cleaned properly with the tool.
                Jake G

Comment

Just wanted to post the fix for this.

Basically cleanspl did what it is for, CLEAN.

I already had the idea in my mind of exporting everything printer related from a working TS server to the non-working one. Though, i didn't know how to do it.

Fortunatly for me, Microsoft has some tools to do this.

Print Migrator came to my rescue. All is needed is to export printing configs from a working server to the non-working one. It's quite simple to use, and perhaps, can be used for others sauces.

Here's the link to download it: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Best regards,

trep

Comment

Thanks for the update. I'll definately have to keep that tool in mind.
                    Jake G

Comment

Working...
                    X