Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running remote desktop towards ts farm cluster ip randomly fails

Running remote desktop towards ts farm randomly fails

Hello, I have two windows 2003 enterprise servers that i run NLB & session directory on. A couple of
    weeks ago i updated the network card drivers, and it did not go very well. After rolling back to
    the old nic drivers that work i ended up with two "Network Load Balancing Filter Device". I managed to
    get rid of the device , and everything looks ok.

The problem i have is that when i run remote desktop towards the cluster ip , i usually have to
    try 10-15 times before i get an connection.

I suspect that it is on "Server A" the problem is , becaus when it finally works i always end
    up on "Server B"

If i try to run rdp against one of the physical ip adresses of the terminal servers the everything
    works ok , having no problem connection onto "Server A" or "server B".

Last night i tried to change the cluster ip , but that didnt solve the problem.

My setup looks like this :

Cluster IP : 10.0.0.10

Terminal Server a: 10.0.0.20
    Terminal Server b: 10.0.0.21

Session Directory is on the third server , server C

Anyone have som good ideas on where the problem may be ?

Please request additional information , and i will fill in...

Regards,
    Stein

Re: Running remote desktop towards ts farm cluster ip randomly fails

Hi,

1. Create a special LAN for the NLB TS servers.
    2. Update the server BIOS, Firmware (including NIC etc.), drivers to the latest version.
    3. Update the switches OS to the latest edition.
    4. Reboot the switch that connect to the TS farm or clean the CAM table.
    5. Review:

http://www.brianmadden.com/content/a...r-environments

and check if you need to add manually the virtual MAC address to the switch CAM table
    (and you may need to delete the old one).

* In case that this wouldnt help, remove the network adpater and reconfigure it.
    Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Try this:

Remove the cluster, manually check that there are no cluster settings lingering on either server, them remake the cluster.

Also, did it work before the NIC driver update? Does this occur on the establishment of a new session or the re-establishment of a disconnected session?

Comment

It did work fine before the NIC update, and it happens both when establishing a new session and when continuing a disconnected one...

Will try to remove all nlb settings on both servers and then remaking them during an service windows...

Comment

Working...
        X