Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS loses connection to DC

Hi everyone

Here is the set up, i am running Win SBS2003 R2 as domain controller which runs exchange, AD, DNS & SLQ and Win 2003 standard as Termainal server which 15 clients connect to, i have 2 windows XP pro SP2 machine which are part of the domain. I also have 4 laptops out in the field which are not part of the domain and clients will use the VPN which is installed on the router and then RDP to connect to the TS server to recieve their desktop session. 2x thin client is running on the 15 client machines and seems to be working fine. Both servers are over spec for the job the are doing.

This is the problem i am having, sometimes the Terminal server will lose connectivity to the dc and i get an error in event log 1500 which is a Userenv (windows cannot log you on because your user profile canont be loaded. Check that you are connected to the network, or that your network is functioning correctly.) And error 1058 (windows can not access the file gpt.ini for gpo etc.) When this happens a reboot of the TS server seems to fix it for about 48 hours however the 2 XP pro workstations do not suffer from this problem.

I have found a KB article which runs through the file permissions of the GPO and all looks good their so it is not a file permisions issue ( i think) when this happpens the terminal server will also disconnect all mapped network drives while the XP work stations can still access the mapped drives.

I have checked out the licensing of the TS sever and the licensing server is all set up i have 20 cals and only 15 clients are connecting so 5 spare cals however it is saying that it has not issued any cals to the clients, i have that set up as per device.

The 2 xp pro machines will lose internet connectivity at times but if i manually add the ip address of the DNS server this does not happen so this might be a DNS issue but just seems odd that the XP pro workstations do not lose conectivity. The TS server has a static ip address and i have manually added the DNS servers ip address well.

If any one can shed some light on this issue it would be appreciated

Re: TS loses connection to DC

This sounds like a resource shortage (specifically memory) on the TS server. Are you using the /3G switch in the boot.ini file? If so, this is the problem and you should remove it. The idea is that the /3G switch will allocate more memory to the user space on the TS but it has the affect of leaving too little memory for the kernel which then causes problems like you are having. I have seen this in my own 17 TS server environment.

If you are not using the /3G switch in the boot.ini file then you should look at overall memory usage as this looks like a memory shortage, which I have also seen in my TS environment. The fact that a reboot corrects the problem tells me that you have a resource shortage which is corrected, naturally, when you reboot the server.

Comment

Hi Joeqwerty

Thanks for your reply i have checked the boot.ini file for a /3G switch and there is not one there. the TS server has 4 gig of memory, I have attached a screen shot of the TS servers desktop with task manager, the boot.ini file and the spec of the machine in use, for you to have a look at please let me know what you think. The page file usage in task manager is generally around 1.34 GB and that is with most users logged on to the TS server.

Thanks for your help.
      Attached Files

Comment

Can you post a screen shot of the performance tab of Task Manager?

Comment

Hi Joeqwerty

Here is the screen shot you have requested of performance tab in task manager.

Thank you.
          Attached Files

Comment

Well, I don't see any obvious memory problems in your screen shots, so now it's going to get complicated. here is a list of things to check:

1. What setting do you have on the properties of the File and Printer sharing component of the NIC?

2. What binding order do you have on your NIC (accessed from the Advanced Settings item in the Advanced menu of the Network Connections folder)?

3. Is your AV software configured to scan network traffic?

4. Are you using NIC teaming on the TS?

5. Is the Windows Firewall turned on?

Comment

Hi Joe

I did not think it was a memory issue either as i have 4gig of ram on the machine unless i have a faulty stick in there.

Here is a screen shot of the file and print sharing properties for you to view.

And here is another screen shot of the binding order of the nic for you to view as well.

The AV software i am using is Trend Micro and i am sure it is not scanning network traffic.

The nics are teamed on the TS server.

The windows firewall in turned off.

Thanks again for your help.
              Attached Files

Comment

I have experienced the problems you are having and it turned out to be a memory issue but it could be something different in your case.

I have two things to suggest:

1. Change F and P sharing setting on the NIC to "maximize for network applications". This will reduce the file system cache size, which may alleviate the problem.

2. Disable teaming on the NIC cards to reduce the processing load.

Let me know if either suggestion works and in the meantime I'll look through my MS support case history to see if I can find anything relevant.

Comment

From my MS support case history try creating the following in the registry of the TS and the server where the profiles are loaded from:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager\Memory Management
                  "PoolUsageMaximum"=dword:00000030
                  "PagedPoolSize"=dword:ffffffff

Reboot the servers after creating these settings. As always, make sure you have a good registry backup of the servers before making these changes.

Also, download and install the User Profile Hive cleanup service on the TS.

Comment

Hi Joeqwerty

Thanks for your sugestions I will change the file and print sharing on the nic first and see how that goes. The TS server will need a reboot tomorrow if this change does not work.

If this does not solve the problem i will then disable the teaming on the network cards.

My other thoughts were along the lines of a possible dns problem, as i have two XP pro machines that i have to assign the dns ip address to the network cards or they are unable to surf websites after about an hour or two, but still have connectivity to mapped network drives etc. The TS has a static ip address assigned to the network card.

Thanks for all your help and i will post back tomorrow with the results of this change.

Comment

Hi

I have already loaded the User profile hive cleanup service on the TS. If the other sugestions don't work then i will proceed to hack up the registry after making a good backup of course.

Thanks again for your help Joe. I will keep you up to date on the progess.

Comment

Hi All

Just an update for the post, i did change the File and print settings to "maximize for network applications" this did increase the amount of cpu usage, it was up by 50% and the memory went from 1.3 GB to around 3Gb , however when i came in today some users were trying to log on and getting an error saying that there profiles could not be loaded due to lack of system resouces and i had to reboot the TS server.

I will remove the network teaming this afternoon out of office hours and see if the server needs a reboot tomorrow and post back with another update. If anyone has any suggestions i would love to here them. Thank you.

Comment

Hi All after much searching i have found the problem just thought i would let everyone know in case you come across it yourself. I found a post on technet's site regarding Userenv 1508 error and following this has fixed the problem. Here is a link for your convenience. Thank you joeqwerty for your posts.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...xp=&sloc=en-us

Comment

Working...
                          X