Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brand New to Terminal Server/Services

Hi,

Ive been handed a small project to provide remote access to program which runs on our local network. The program itself is a small exe which connects to our database and allows are users to connect and carry out their daily processes. I have a spare server for the terminal server which has 4Gb of ram and two 76Gb disks which are mirrored.

Other than the server, what is needed with regards to OS/Terminal Software Licenses etc. The solution is to provide access for around 10 concurrent users who are either connected via vpn to the office or over a wan link into the main office.

I hoping its gonna be as easy as building the server (w2k3) installing Terminal Server, publishing the app and then sticking the shortcut to the app on the users desktop. Im sure its more complex than that but thats were you guys come in (hopefully).

DW

Re: Brand New to Terminal Server/Services

Hi, DW.
    Welcome to the TS world !!
    Regarding the Licensing issue, I suggest you take a look at this BrianMaden article: The Ultimate Guide to Windows 2003 Terminal Server Licensing, it should clarify the image.
    Take notice of the fact that Windows Server 2003 does not have capabilities of publishing a software. The user connecting to it will get the Desktop (that you can lock as tough as you wish, but, still, it's the Desktop).
    To use Published Applications, you either wait for Windows Server 2008 (that will have this capability out-of-the-box) or use a third party solution, like Citrix or Cockpit. I myself am using 2X Application Server for this.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Hi

I am also fairly new to the TS world and i went looking for a thin client OS and if you do not want to set up a thin client server you can also use this http://thinstation.sourceforge.net/w...ex.php/ThIndex i am using it on 2 old dell machines and all they do is run from a cd, all i did was altered the config file to point straight to the TS server. So as soon as you turn them on they pop up with the TS log on screen. I hope this helps

Comment

You can always configure the TS connection to start the app automatically using the "start the following program on connection" either at the connection icon, the user in AD or for the TS itself
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

You're right, Ossian.
          The problem I encountered with this method is that when the user closes the application, he gets back the Desktop. I tried some scripts to make him disconnect when the application closes, but it was a pain in the a$$...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Hi,

I guess that Windows 2008 Server will release in the near 2-4 weeks.
            Please review the webcast:

http://msevents.microsoft.com/cui/We...CountryCode=US

I guess that this the solution that you need without extra $.
            Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Thank you all for your advice guys. Just before I start downloading the various software, quick question. Does the software in question map a drive to the C$ of the client (like in citrix) and does it map the default printer?

If both software do this then its just down to cost (which one comes out the cheapest! x2 or thinstation).

Also, I noticed with X2, its free for 5 applications or less but it doesnt say how many users it would support (on the free ver). Any ideas?

Comment

Regarding your questions:
                1) I don't know about Thinstation, 2X has the ability of mapping local drives, even in Published application mode.
                2) Thinstation is free (as far as I saw), 2X has also a free version, but has its limitations.
                3) I don't know what they mean by that. In some place they write "5 applications"' in another they talk about "5 connections" (meaning maybe "5 users"?)
                I'll try to contact them tomorrow and come back with an answer.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Sorinso, did you manage to find out about how many users are licensed using the free products from 2x.com? Need to start putting the software on the server today!!

Comment

I actually called them about this several months ago and I still don't understand it. I think it is 5 users for up to 5 applications.

Comment

Originally posted by daiwhyte View Post
                      Sorinso, did you manage to find out about how many users are licensed using the free products from 2x.com? Need to start putting the software on the server today!!
                      Sorry, I didn't manage...
                      I suggest you post a question on their support site.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Hi,

The correcy way from my point of view is to start with Windows 2008 RC1 and move to RTM.
                        The Win 2008 provide a good application publish service for SMB so you can save a few $
                        and get a good solution.
                        Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Ive just found out, it is as follows.

It can run 5 applications at once, so if your running notepad, notepad, calc, calc, word - thats it, you've maxed out the free version and its time to buy some more licenses.

Comment

Working...
                          X