Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• terminal services user profile

Hi,

i setup my TS with load balancing and i need to make the already logged in users in the first terminal with roaming profile so that when they will connect to the LB server they will have the same profile.
    now my users use PST and dbx files (outlook express and MS outlook). when i use roaming profile does those files roaming as well?

Re: terminal services user profile

I dont recommanded to host the PST of the profile it self. Using map drive and verity
    that old/open session closed before a new session created should be done.
    Also, conisder to stop using outlook express - The time and the problem with the
    managment will be high and the users will report on problems.
    Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Originally posted by yuval14 View Post
      I dont recommanded to host the PST of the profile it self. Using map drive and verity
      that old/open session closed before a new session created should be done.
      Also, conisder to stop using outlook express - The time and the problem with the
      managment will be high and the users will report on problems.
      i didn't understand this line "Using map drive and verity
      that old/open session closed before a new session created should be done."
      so what i need to do if i want only PST file roaming(put the file on map network drive)?.

Comment

1. Put the PST on a map drive.
        2. Set the TS to logoff a disconnected session after 1 minutes (Or yse session directory option).
        3. Use Folder Redirections instead of roaming profile.
        4. Dont use Outlook express.
        5. Use 1 GB LAN with a fast disks.
        Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Be aware that using pst files over a LAN or WAN connection is not a supported configuration per Microsoft, but with a TS environment using roaming profiles there's no way around it.

Comment

There is this article Configuring Outlook for Roaming Users (thanks to Yaniv Totshvili for the link).
            See if it helps you in any way.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
              There is this article Configuring Outlook for Roaming Users (thanks to Yaniv Totshvili for the link).
              See if it helps you in any way.
              ...which says: "Ensure that users store Outlook information on a server (such as Microsoft Exchange Server) rather than on network shares or in local files (such as PST files). "

So I'd go one step further than Yuval's recomendation of "stop using OE" - and I'd say "Stop using PST files too - use Exchange". If you add together Joeqwerty's and Sorin's posts, you'll get to that conclusion.
              Best wishes,
              PaulH.
              MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

I just have to tell you that the Exchange server in my institution serves some 3000 accounts.
                I have three PST files (one for work, one personal and one with junkies) that sum together to almost 8GB. And it's all the history since we started using Exchange, back in 1999.
                Leaving all the mail on our server would have meant a lot of very expensive and valuable space for something that can be kept off-server.
                Our PST files (a 120 people department) reside on a Novell server. We seldom had any problems with them. Even when the server crashed.
                It's true that PST files are not built to use the advantages of files residing on the network (like multiple, concurrent accesses), but one has to find the golden path between the two.
                When we did had problems with the PST files, running a ScanPST on them solved the problem. I never had to recover a file from backup.
                This is my experience with networked PST files. Am I just lucky?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                -

Comment

Working...
                X