Switching to installation mode while users are logged on

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching to installation mode while users are logged on

Is it okay to switch to an installation mode to do a quick software install then switch back to the execution mode while users are logged on to the terminal server?
    By switching to an installation mode, it disables INI mapping but I'm not sure if it affects users already signed on.

Thx

Re: Switching to installation mode while users are logged on

I wouldn't do it!

Before installing software on a TS I would always ensure all users are logged off before changing it to install mode. If it's just a quick installation then do it Out of Hours and advise users before hand to ensure they log off.

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

If applications are installed from within "Add/Remove programs", this should ensure that the app gets installed correctly. I think that doing it this way should be fine and not cause you any problems as you won't have to go into install mode manually.

I'm happy to be corrected if Michael or soemone knows better....
      Best wishes,
      PaulH.
      MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Originally posted by PaulH View Post
        If applications are installed from within "Add/Remove programs", this should ensure that the app gets installed correctly. I think that doing it this way should be fine and not cause you any problems as you won't have to go into install mode manually.

I'm happy to be corrected if Michael or soemone knows better....
        Correct, installing apps via add/remove automatically changes the user mode to install and then back to execute after installation but it's still best to ensure no users are logged onto the server during installation as it could cause stability issues and the server may also require a reboot after installation.

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X