Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unable to start RDP / VNC / ILO or Dameware

Good afternoon,

I have a problem with an W2k3 exchange server. I'm not able to send ctrl-alt-del when I try to connect via dameware, RDP, ILO or vnc. RDP crashed without any warning. The eventviewer is clean. No audit logs. Of course I can reboot the server, but in 2 weeks the same problems occur again.

Anyone who knows about this problem?

Regards,
    Michel
    The Netherlands

Re: unable to start RDP / VNC / ILO or Dameware

Can you provide a list of the software that installed on the server (including version/service pack level)?
    Did you use the latest drivers/firmware?...
    Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Do the keyboard types match on both ends (US, UK, etc...)?
      "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Winlogon and Gina are integral parts of the Ctl+Alt+Del process. Did one of the remote control programs install an alternate Gina. I know that Control-IT from CA used to do this and cause problems. I believe that Citrix also installs an alternate Gina. I might suggest uninstalling all but RDP and trying with just RDP first and go from there.

Comment

Hello,

The situation has changed. I can't connect via RDP and Dameware, but through ILO I can connect. Even when I'm connected via ILO, i can't connect via mstsc.exe /console to the same server. I can ping this server, but Exchange is not working either. It doesn't work via Outlook 2003 Client, but it works via RES powerfuse. I really have no idea what is causing this problem.

Is there recently been an update on Microsoft 2003?

Please help, no events are logged

Regards,
          Michel Pas

Comment

Originally posted by empee2007 View Post
            Hello,

The situation has changed. I can't connect via RDP and Dameware, but through ILO I can connect. Even when I'm connected via ILO, i can't connect via mstsc.exe /console to the same server. I can ping this server, but Exchange is not working either. It doesn't work via Outlook 2003 Client, but it works via RES powerfuse. I really have no idea what is causing this problem.

Is there recently been an update on Microsoft 2003?

Please help, no events are logged

Regards,
            Michel Pas
            Does this help?
            Port security
            To enhance security, administrators can configure iLO to encrypt remote console sessions and configure the remote console port to meet corporate security requirements. The iLO processoruses128-bit RC4 encryption1 to encrypt remote console information. The 128-bit encryption provides security without requiring excessive processing overhead. Administrators can enable or disable this
            capability in the iLO configuration web pages.
            Whenever a user requests a remote console session from the web browser client, the remote console applet initiates and opens the remote console port (port 23) of iLO in the host server. The iLO processor automatically disables the remote console port when the remote console session has ended.
            This default configuration (called auto-enable) enhances security by allowing only remote console sessions to connect to port 23, blocking any other connection attempts.

DarkHorse

Comment

Just a few questions...

interesting tidbit dark horse, but i dont think that has anything to do with the problem at hand.

some information like yuval14 asked would be helpful.

also, i had a question about your situation...

how long has this problem persisted? did the box ever support RDP or VNC properly?

if it did used to work, could you check the update log or update history to see if any of the patches coincide with the start of the problem?

can you verify that the server is not behind a firewall (software or hardware)?

can you verify that the necessary ports are not bound to another application?

did exchange and RDP quit working at the same time or separate? just wanna check as not to confuse two separate problems...

any information would be helpful.
              its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
              Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

What! October!?

nevermind...
                its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
                Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Working...
                X