Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2000 TS Server getting a license from a 2003 TSL Server.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 TS Server getting a license from a 2003 TSL Server.....

Hi all,

Ive been trouble shooting a problem with Terminal Services for months, im getting no where.

My first question is. Is it possible for a Windows 2000 Terminal Server to get a license from a Windows 2003 Terminal Server Licensing Server (non DC)?.

We use to have a 2000 TS server & a 2000 TSL Server (DC) and it worked fine. From what I read when upgrading to a 2003 TSL Server it does not have to be a DC, which is what ive done. We bought all new licenses as well.

But I just can't get my 2000 TS Server to gain a license from when one connects from the 2003 TSL Server.

Hope all that makes sense

Thanks
    Dazza

Re: 2000 TS Server getting a license from a 2003 TSL Server.....

Take a look at these articles and see if they help.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823313

http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true
    Last edited by joeqwerty; 23rd October 2007, 04:34.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
      Thankyou for that link. I hadn't read that before.

Quoting from that article - "Windows Server 2003 Terminal Server License Servers can communicate with both Windows 2000-based and Windows Server 2003-based terminal servers"

Makes me assume that it is possible to do what im doing. But ultimately dosn't solve my problem .

**scratches head**.......ive tried exhausting every avenue. My 2000 TS server just refuses to communicate with my 2003 TSL server.

Montaroo

Comment

I think you have to modify the registry on your Windows 2000 TS servers. I believe that Windows Server 2003 can auto-discover the license server but the Windows 2000 Server can't. One of the topics at the technet link should explain the process. We use a GPO setting to "hard-code" the license server but all of our TS servers are Windows Server 2003 so I don't know if that would work with Windows 2000 TS servers.

Comment

Yeh from my research ive found stuff about that. Ive gone through and done this article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q239107/ but when I re-read that article over and over it appears to me as though that registry hack is pointing towards a 2000 TSL server.

I want to point to a 2003 TSL server. You would think the principle is the same as it's just a pointer to a server, but no way for me to know if that is the problem seen as I don't have a 2000 TSL to try it with. We used to but wanted to go to pure 2003 AD mode, therefore you can't have a TSL server on a non DC - 2000 machine, but you can for a 2003 machine

Dazza

Comment

I guess I'm stumped at this point without doing more research. Sorry and GL.

Comment

Ohh thanks anyway . I don't expect anyone to do research on it, just more so if it had been come across before.

A searching I shall go some more......

Thanks again.

Dazza

Comment

Working...
              X