Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terminal server

Hi,

I have Terminal server and it is member of AD. all users created in AD and all are login in that terminal server now I need to remove shut down Button on Terminal server for EVERYONE except administrator only.

How I do this?

I have found the option in Terminal server> Gpedit.msc>.........

BUT I am confused to implement policy because users are created in AD and I need to disable shutdown button for EVERYONE except administrator.

Re: Terminal server

Only Administrators may shutdown the Terminal Servers so your normal users will not be able to shutdown the terminal server even if the shutdown button is not present, it is just a cosmetic change.

What I would do is remove and disable the shutdown button for all users including administrators, and have them shutdown the terminal server using TSSHUTDN from the command prompt. It can be amazing how many administrators can shutdown a terminal server by mistake (or this is the excuse!) shutting down the terminal server using this command removes the human error factor.

To remove the shutdown button from the start menu, enable the following group policy setting:

User Configuration>Administrative Templates>Start Menu and Taskbar>Remove and Prevent Access to the Shutdown Command

This above group policy setting should be used with Group Policy Loopback Processsing in Replace Mode.
    MCSA 2000/2003

Comment

Hi,

Then Where I need to Implement this on ? Terminal server or on AD.

Comment

If you multiple terminal servers I would move the computer objects to a seperate organisational unit within Active Directory and link a group policy object containing all your settings required to configure/secure your terminal servers.

You should look at applying group policy loopback processing in a terminal services environment, details of group policy loopback processing can be found at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/231287 and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/260370.
        MCSA 2000/2003

Comment

GP Loopback processing is useful whenever you need to apply a user-related policy based on the computer is logging into. It doesn't look to me that this is the situation here (although I might have misunderstood the statement "all are login in that terminal server ").
          What I did for my TS project was to define a group that contain all the users that should access the TS servers, define the setting (as a part of a bigger lock-down policy), link the GPO to the OU the group and users reside in and apply it to the TS group only. I cannot tell you exactly how you should do it, because you provided no information regarding your AD set-up.
          The setting that should be looked for is: USER Configuration -> Administrative Templates ->Start Menu and Taskbar -> Remove and prevent access to the Shut Down command .
          I suggest you download (for further reference) and use Group Policy Settings Reference, an Excel file containing the default GPO settings.
          Good luck.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Hi,

I have created one ou. and put all user in to that. then I gave policy

User Configuration>Administrative Templates>Start Menu and Taskbar>Remove and Prevent Access to the Shutdown Command

Now issue has been solved

Thanks a lot........

Comment

I am not sure that moving the users to a specific OU was necessary, but I am glad you solved the issue.
              Thank you for updating the forum.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
              -

Comment

Working...
              X