Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi-User Network Computing Terminal

Hi,

I am looking for practical and real life user experiences with "Network Computing Terminal" -- Processor less terminals to share XP-Prof PC with 5-7 users.

General idea as to how stable is the setup, inter-user security, cost savings etc.

I would really Appreciate feedback and suggestions.

Is there any other technology which is at par or beats this one.

Thank you.
    regards,
    Sans

Re: Multi-User Network Computing Terminal

I don't know about the terminals you ask about but I do know that Windows XP is a WORKSTATION OS, not a server. You can only have ONE remote desktop connection into a Windows XP machine. To do the kind of thing you're looking at, you will need a Server OS with Terminal Services style functionality installed, or you will need a fat server running 5-7 separate VM's which have XP installed.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

p.s. this isn't just a physical limitation, it's also a legal licensing issue; Microsoft license Windows XP as a workstation OS and therefore do not provide multiple concurrent user functionality; to configure a Windows XP OS to accept multiple concurrent users would (a) be extremely difficult and (b) illegal; a breach of the licence for the software.

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

The the application "winconnect".
        This isnt a real TS solution, but as the joke say "cheap" customers get "cheap" and a low solutions...
        Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

It's not clear to me that the OP talks about a solution like this one : http://www.elecomsystems.com/showpages.asp?pid=1006 or about ThinClients (that are, BTW, diskless, not processorless. I cannot see any kind of computing device without a processor).
          The Multi-User PC solution is, as Yuval already stated, for cheap customers. And this is said not in a negative manner. We all know that sometimes there are bosses that demand solutions without giving the proper budgets.
          Anyway, I think Tom's concern about the licensing issue is something to check thoroughly. Not from the multiple remote desktop asspect, but from the multiple users using the same OS.
          I am not aware of someone who has implemented such a solution in my proximity, so cannot assist with an opinion.
          Last edited by sorinso; 11th October 2007, 07:01.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Sorry, I forgot to post the website for clarity:
            http://www.ncomputing.com/ncomputing/index.php

I do not believe in discarding a proposition because it comes at a low cost "Cheap".

I the Stability factor more.

If its a stable solution with no "Technical or Practical Limitations" then I would like to explore it.

Any user experiences..... ?

Thx

Comment

Do you really think that there is something that has no "Technical or Practical Limitations"?
              This solution looks cheap, no doubt about it (although i did not see prices on their site ). But you should test it very closely, before going for it.
              What are your users doing? What applications are they running? Have you noticed how much memory does take an Internet Explorer window, for instance? And with few small Flash advertising animations? These are things you should consider when testing the product, in my opinion.
              Do you really want something that is (again, almost) without limitations? Go for Terminal Services (Microsoft, Citrix, Cockpit, 2X and anything else) and thin clients.

Good luck, dude. And it will be nice to let the forum know what you decided.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
              -

Comment

Hi,

Hopefully, I will get to test the device in the next week and I will post my findings.

All users are regualar office apps users like IE, Mozilla, word processing, emailing etc.

My primary purpose is to reduce Power Consumption : 200Watts -> 10Watts per CPU. And the idea of centralised system for ease of manageability.

I tried 2 different thin clients but in both cases sound did not reach the terminals.
                We have some apps which require sound on the terminals like POP3 Checker etc.

Another observation was low Color depth on the terminals. 16bit was max.

Any ideas and suggestions are always welcome.

Thx
                Sans

Comment

Well, we're waiting for your feedback.
                  There are a lot of other options, but all depends on the amount of money and work you are willing to invest, and the complexity of the solution you need.
                  Good luck.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

When I started my job our company was forcing all clients to purchase Wyse S90 terminals. I was absolutely against them from the start, however since it was our CIO's idea my opinion didn't matter.

Any ways they are absolutely horrible. Our help desk received more calls from users who are on thin clients than PC users.

Finally new leadership and I showed them all the issues and con's and they told me that I am right and we are no longer using them any more. Every single client we had is thankful however they are stuck with so many of these thin clients and we have to support them I can't wait for all of them to be phased out completely.

In my opinion get a low end PC.

Comment

Working...
                    X