Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie: Terminal Server differences between Win2K and 2003 Server

Hello,

I'm evaluating the possibility of installing a retail Windows 2000 Server to act as a Terminal Server.
    From what I've seen in MS, it seems that 2003 Server is safer since it doesn't require Logon locally permission to remote users but I'm not sure. Also it seems I've been told that computers with Windows XP Pro do not require (use) a Terminal CAL License to access 2000 Server.

If possible, what are the differences between Windows 2000 Server and Windows 2003 Server? Should I think of doing it on 2003 Server?

TIA

Re: Newbie: Terminal Server differences between Win2K and 2003 Server

What sort of application are you going to make available to your users via terminal services? How many users are you anticipating being involved? Do you require the ability to reconnect to an existing session on one of many servers, or are you only planning one server?

This information will help us to answer your core question which I understand to be "Am I better off using Windows Server 2003 Terminal Services or will I be OK with Windows 2000"?

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Users are going to use Office to open docs and access an application that uses a SQL database, both (file and SQL Server) located in a SBS server already on the network.

About users I'm thinking in providing remote access to 15 users at the same time. And yes it must have the ability to reconnect also because some users are using a 3G connection.

My core questions are the one you said and the degree of security involved since I'm always afraid of providing remote access to a local network that is the basis for the work of one company.

Thanks, Stonelaughter.

Comment

OK - ability to reconnect:

As your server is SBS2003 I would advise you to use Windows Server 2003 (Standard Edition) (Member server) as your Terminal Server. With only 15 users, only one server will be required - this means that ability to reconnect is automatic.

With a load balancing Terminal Services Cluster of two or more servers, you would need also to implement Session Directory (which requires another server running 2003 Enterprise Version) and it all becomes rather complex and expensive

Have you considered using VMWare on a nice fat powerful server to run 15 XP Workstations? It's just another option in your arsenal. You would be looking at 16-32Gb RAM, 4-8 hyperthreading processors and the fastest hard disk solution you could find... no idea of the total cost comparison of the VM approach versus the TS approach.

Security: You're always better using the later OS. Windows 2000 would compare poorly with a properly hardened 2003 box.

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

What about licensing using XP Pro workstations in a retail Windows 2000 Server with Terminal Services activated? I've looked for this but I couldn't get any information about it. Do I need to have a CAL for XP Pro workstations?

I've seen that in 2003 Server I could create a Remote User Group for Terminal Server purposes. Can I do that in 2000 Server? Or am I using user pemissions to access it and the network shares?

TIA

Comment

To be honest I can't remember a thing about Windows 2000 TS except that it includes unlimited per-device CALs... but I'm not sure if their use is limited or not. I would in no way be tempted to use W2k however... if it hasn't already it will no doubt soon go out of support and then you'll have to upgrade anyway.

Tom

Comment

TS 2003 have a few perfomance, support, security and a nice gui (16 bit colors) advantages on Win 2000.
              Also, Windows 2000 will drop from the support in the near future.
              You can contact local office to check the issue with the licenses.
              Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Thanks for your replies.

By the way could you point out which differences in terms of security are we speaking of.

TIA

Comment

Well, that wouldn't be to complicate:
                  - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...nalserver.mspx
                  - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv.../termserv.mspx
                  - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810589 (Webcast)

Good luck.
                  Last edited by sorinso; 27th September 2007, 06:43. Reason: typos...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                  -

Comment

Working...
                  X