Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• show clock in system tray for users

Hi,

is there any way that i can show all my terminal server users to see the clock in the system try, without let them the ability to change the time?(my OS Win2K3 STD R2)

Thx

Re: show clock in system tray for users

I found the following:

Q: How can I enable the clock in the Taskbar for all remote sessions?

A: Before you go ahead and enable the clock, be sure to read this article, which explains why it might not be such a good idea after all:
    186505 - Terminal Server Client Taskbar Clock Not Enabled

There's a GPO setting:

User configuration - Administrative templates - Start Menu and Taskbar
    "Remove Clock from the system notification area"

but disabling this setting will not force the clock to display in the system tray, it will only allow users to enable the clock if they have access to the system tray on the Terminal Server. And in most situations, they haven't. To force the display of the clock in the taskbar, you will need to modify a setting in the registry. Start regedit and go to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\StuckRects2

You'll see a "Settings" value, which contains something like this:
    28 00 00 00 ff ff ff ff 02 00 00 00 03 00 00 00 6d 00 00 00 20 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 e0 03 00 00 00 05 00 00 00 04 00 00

The nineth pair of digits determines the Taskbar properties. Possible values are:
    Always on top = 0x02
    Auto hide = 0x01
    Show small icons in Start menu = 0x04
    Hide clock = 0x08

Combine the properties you want and set the byte. For example:
    Always on top + Show small icons + Show clock = 06
    Always on top + Show small icons + Hide clock = 0e

Note that the changes do not take effect immediately, you have to restart Explorer, or logoff and logon again to see the changes.

If you want to set this for all users, you'll have to export the registry key into a .reg file and import it into the user profile in a logon script. Start the logon script in your GPO to make sure that it runs (and imports the registry file) before Explorer is started.
    http://ts.veranoest.net/ts_faq_confi...m#enable_clock

Hope it helps

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Excellent, Michael!
      I would like only to add that there's no correlation between a user seeing the clock and the right to change it. This right is given by default on a server to Administrators and Power Users. It can be changed through the Local Security Settings (that is something I would not advice, use GPO in an AD) or by using the same setting in GPO, under Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local Policy -> User Rights Assignment.
      Anyway, in my TS environment, I set in the Taskbar properties to show the clock, and the users don't have the right to change it, or disable it (they have no right to alter the Taskbar).

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

Originally posted by m80arm View Post
        I found the following:

http://ts.veranoest.net/ts_faq_confi...m#enable_clock

Hope it helps

Michael
        Thx for your answer.
        how exactly i do that on the GPO to insert this reg value?
        "If you want to set this for all users, you'll have to export the registry key into a .reg file and import it into the user profile in a logon script. Start the logon script in your GPO to make sure that it runs (and imports the registry file) before Explorer is started. "

Comment

This article shows how to define logon scripts in GPO: http://isweb2.memphis.edu/umad/docum...ogonScript.htm.
          To build the logon script, I would use a REG command with the relevant key.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
            This article shows how to define logon scripts in GPO: http://isweb2.memphis.edu/umad/docum...ogonScript.htm.
            To build the logon script, I would use a REG command with the relevant key.
            I've worked with the doc but the problem is that the reg script runs after the user already start the explorer.exe process. why is that? (even if i put the script on the computer configuration.)
            after the user already have the explorer.exe i see the script runs,then i kill the explorer.exe on the user and start new explorer.exe then the clock appears.
            how i can make the script to run before the explorer.exe loads?

Comment

Although the following document is a bit old make sure you have enough bandwidth.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/186505
              (also applies for windows 2000 and i'm guess also for windows 2003)
              Marcel
              Technical Consultant
              Netherlands
              http://www.phetios.com
              http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
              "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
              "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

The script controls a user setting not a computer setting so putting it as a startup script in Computer Configuration will do you no good. You need to put it in the Logon Script setting of User Configuration. Set the GPO to run Logon Scripts synchronously, this will force the logon script to complete before
                Explorer loads.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                  The script controls a user setting not a computer setting so putting it as a startup script in Computer Configuration will do you no good. You need to put it in the Logon Script setting of User Configuration. Set the GPO to run Logon Scripts synchronously, this will force the logon script to complete before
                  Explorer loads.
                  i put it on the computer configuration under user logon not startup.(if you put it on the computer configuration it runs first before the user configuration) and i did set the GPO to run synchronously no good.

Comment

I think we're missing something here....
                    The REG file/Logon script should make the change once and for all... So you will not need to change every profile manually. So, after you closed the Explore.exe and start a new one, the clock should stay there forever.
                    Are you using mandatory profiles, by any chance? If you do, change the ntuser.man back to .dat, make the change, change it back to .man and that should be all.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

I think we're missing something here....
                      The REG file/Logon script should make the change once and for all... So you will not need to change every profile manually. So, after you closed the Explore.exe and start a new one, the clock should stay there forever.
                      Are you using mandatory profiles, by any chance? If you do, change the ntuser.man back to .dat, make the change, change it back to .man and that should be all.
                      i don't have any roaming profile.
                      i create new terminal user for that test and i get the same result, the script runs after the explorer.exe load. even when i set the GPO to run Logon Scripts synchronously.

Comment

First, I was talking about mandatory profiles, not roaming...
                        Second, I want to see I understood right: you have a number of TS users, that you want to change the setting of the clock, to show on the Taskbar. And you want to do this trough GPO. Did I get it right?
                        Third, quote from a Microsoft article:
                        By default, the processing of Group Policy is synchronous. Computer policy is completed before the CTRL+ALT+DEL dialog box is presented, and user policy is completed before the shell is active and available for the user to interact with it.
                        (the emphasis is mine - Sorin).
                        Forth, how many users are we talking here? Few? Tens? Hundreds? You can alter one user's profile by using the Load Hive option in the Registry Editor. Take a look at these articles:
                        - http://www.petri.com/edit_registry_s...han_myself.htm
                        - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/146050
                        Good luck. Keep us posted.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

First, I was talking about mandatory profiles, not roaming...
                          Second, I want to see I understood right: you have a number of TS users, that you want to change the setting of the clock, to show on the Taskbar. And you want to do this trough GPO. Did I get it right?
                          Third, quote from a Microsoft article: (the emphasis is mine - Sorin).
                          Forth, how many users are we talking here? Few? Tens? Hundreds? You can alter one user's profile by using the Load Hive option in the Registry Editor. Take a look at these articles:
                          - http://www.petri.com/edit_registry_s...han_myself.htm
                          - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/146050
                          Good luck. Keep us posted.
                          1.OK
                          2.yes
                          3.OK
                          4.I've about 150 users, Thx for the Hive instruction, where i can find more info about what things i can change in the HIVE registry to apply it on the default user?
                          4.1. I've manager to set the reg import to set the clock on all users when they logon before there EXPLORER.EXE start , by simply add the line for the import in the logon script on the netlogon and not in the GPO(in the GPO the script runs after the EXPLORER.EXE start).

Comment

OK, OK, but you still don't say if you're using mandatory profiles or not...
                            NTUser.Dat file hold the settings that are loaded in the Registry (at the user's logon) and become the HKEY_CURRENT_USER branch. So, all the settings that are user-related should be there.

Related info you should check (in my humble opinion):
                            - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_profile
                            - User Data and Settings Management (MS article)

Good luck.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Putting the import in logon script could be problematic for environments where logon scripts run asynchronously.
                              A quicker solution would be to drop a reference to this little tool anywhere in the login script
                              Guy Teverovsky
                              "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Working...
                              X