Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Desktop question

Hi,

Please forgive me if this has been asked before or is a stupid question!

I need to be able to access my works computers from home over my broadband connection. I've done a fair bit of looking through google and it seems that it is as easy as just allowing remote desktop access on your PC/server you want to access from home and then from home tapping in the PC name and domain. i.e david-desktop.domainname.co.uk

Is this correct?

I always thought you would need to purchase an IP address?

And surely you will need to configure your server with the routing and remote access msc. tool?

Thanks for any help!

C

Re: Remote Desktop question

You'll need to give us FAR more information about how work is connected to the internet. For instance, is "Work" a complex network with Firewalls, routers, NATting etc, or is it a single computer connected to a broadband connection? Does "work" have its own DNS or does it use the ISP's DNS?

To be honest if your office uses any more than a single PC on broadband, they're going to have to provide you with a VPN solution to get you in.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

OK, the network has a BT router connected to a switch that has about 12 PC's on. The server on the network does all the DNS and DHCP stuff.

I'm thought i would need VPN. I'll need to get a router that supports NAT as the BT one doesn't. I will also need to buy an IP address. I know how to setup VPN on my server. Just need to know what to do with the IP address. Do i need an additional NIC card on the server too?

Cheers

C

Comment

Your BT Router has a WAN-side IP address; a nice solution in this case would be to (when you get a NATTING Router) register a DNS Name with something like DynDNS - you run an updater app on the machine you need to connect to, and it updates the DNS service with your current IP. You won't need a static IP then. (For instance my DNS name is <insertnamehere>.kicks-ass.org and resolves to whatever my WAN IP is - this enables me to connect to my firewalled and router-protected PC from outside).

So if for instance your BT WAN IP was 82.58.105.24 today, then your shiny new DNS name would point to that; if it changed the updater would change it. Then you could look at setting up a VPN using RRAS on your server allowing incoming connections from a particular AD User - i.e. you.

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Comment

OK, i'll give that a go when i get back to the office next week. May need your help if i become stuck!

The updater app - what is this? where can i get it from?

Thanks for your help

Comment

www.dyndns.org

You will need to choose and register a host and domain name with them (they offer many) and tell them your current WAN side IP address; then download their DynDNS Updater from the site. The rest is in their documentation...

Tom

Comment

Am i right in saying that the alternative would just be to purchase my very own IP address?

Comment

Originally posted by cmcf View Post
                Am i right in saying that the alternative would just be to purchase my very own IP address?
                Well, not quite. You would contact your ISP and ask them to provide you with a static address... some ISPs do it (at a price - some higher than others) and some do not. You CAN just go to InterNic and "buy an IP address" - but who would present it to the Internet for you? It gets expensive...

Tom

Comment

Have asked BT about them and they charge 5 per month for 5 IP address's. Good deal?

Comment

Yeah pretty reasonable; but I still like the free DNS Name idea; it means you aren't tied to a particular IP and you don't need to worry about changing ISP either; it will just update to whatever your public IP is at the time.

Tom

Comment

little bit concerned about the security side of it all. The router has a firewall built in but is this enough considering its just a Netgear one of the shelf job?

Comment

Working...
                      X