W2K3 TS and local printer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W2K3 TS and local printer

Hi... When I set default printer in user terminal session, after logoff, other printer becomes default again... One printer is not appearing at all... Local devices are set to connect printer...

Re: W2K3 TS and local printer

For the missing printer: could it be because the TS is missing the driver for the client print device? I recall some new policies in Win2k3 surrounding printing options that would be worth investigation.
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonboche View Post
      For the missing printer: could it be because the TS is missing the driver for the client print device? I recall some new policies in Win2k3 surrounding printing options that would be worth investigation.
      Driver is installed ok... I have updated driver today... problem still persists.... other printer is appearing just fine...(that PC has two printers connected)

Comment

Originally posted by kojo1984 View Post
        other printer is appearing just fine...(that PC has two printers connected)
        What exactly do you feel that is missing? Are you aware of the fact that when you connect to a TS server, and the client has multiple printers, only the client's default printer is mapped? Not all of them?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
          What exactly do you feel that is missing? Are you aware of the fact that when you connect to a TS server, and the client has multiple printers, only the client's default printer is mapped? Not all of them?
          The default printer is the one which is not appearing... The other printer, that is not default, is appearing in session just fine...

I have uninstalled all printers from local client, except problematic HP1320 and he still didn't appeared in session.

I have installed drivers from original disc on client and server... didn't helped....

I think the driver may be causing the problem somehow...

I have enabled " Terminal Server fallback printer driver behavior" GPO and trided all 4 options...also didn't helped...

I have connected it like network printer thru session and it's ok now... but something is wrong and I'm afraid that it can cause more problems in future if it is not solved now....
          However, connecting it like network printer is not a solution for me...
          Last edited by kojo1984; 7th May 2007, 10:36.

Comment

Have you looked in the Event Viewer for error messages? Whenever a printer cannot be connected to a session, an Event Viewer entry should be issued. In search for an explanation, I would look there too...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

Have you looked in the Event Viewer for error messages? Whenever a printer cannot be connected to a session, an Event Viewer entry should be issued. In search for an explanation, I would look there too...
              Only errors that printer driver is missing... that was after I have uninstalled HP1320... After installing it again on client and server, error stopped to appear, but no other event concerned hp1320 is appearing... Clients that have that hp1320 connected like network printer localy, when they connect to TS, do have it in session (created in terminal session)
              I have two driver installed... PCL6 and PS. Tried combinations with PCL6 only and with PS only... still not appearing...
              Attached Files
              Last edited by kojo1984; 7th May 2007, 12:02.

Comment

I have solved problem ... I have configured HP1320 to use WINPRINT print processor and updated TS and client with latest versions of clients (RDP 6.0). When printer is not appearing in session and there is no errors in EVENT VIEWER concerned with that, problem is with obsolete versions of RDP....

Are you aware of the fact that when you connect to a TS server, and the client has multiple printers, only the client's default printer is mapped? Not all of them?
                It is possible to use more than one printer in one terminal session from one local client. There is an option in AD on user account (enviroment) where those options are configurable.
                I have configured now both local printers to appear in session and everythin is perfect...

Thanx for helping...
                Last edited by kojo1984; 9th May 2007, 18:49.

Comment

I am glad your problem is solved. And thank you for updating the forum.
                  Regarding the multiple printers issue, I am not quite sure it is correct. One have to have the option of mapping the local printers set in the Remote Desktop Connection settings, for printers to be mapped. I am using RDP6 to connect my XPSP2 computer at home to one of my Win2003 servers at the office. The setting in the AD Users and Computers did not change anything, until I set the mapping in the RDC.
                  From the other hand, it looks that I was wrong with the default printer of the client Sorry for that.

10nx again.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

I am glad your problem is solved. And thank you for updating the forum.
                    From the other hand, it looks that I was wrong with the default printer of the client Sorry for that.

10nx again.
                    Nothing to apologize...I'm honored to be part of petri.co.il ... The goal is the same for all... share knowledge and solve problems ...

Need to update topic... to prevent this behavior in TS... Don't install HP software update for printer on local PC... only drivers are needed and don't let Windows Update updates drivers on server or client... One of these will cause problem even if RDP 6.0 is installed...

Comment

Working...
                    X