No announcement yet.

Win2k TS to W2k3 License server

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win2k TS to W2k3 License server

I have several W2k3 terminal servers pointing to a Windows 2k3 license server running in per user mode. I purchased enough per user cals to cover the number of users I have.
    The issue is, I have 1 remaining Windows 2000 terminal server pointing to a Windows 2000 license server. That license server is going to be retired.
    I have a very small number of per device cals installed on this W2k license server.
    The W2k TS is used by a very small set of users
    I was planning on using KB239107 to set the preferred Windows license server to the W2k3 server.

Do I have to call MS and change those few per device cals to the W2k3 server?
    The users of the W2k TS server are running XP pro.
    I was hoping that the built-in per device cals on the W2k3 server will serve those few users.
    I have enough per user cals to cover these extra users.
    If I do have to Call MS will I get per device cals? and will they co-exist with the per user cals.

Thank you for any help

Re: Win2k TS to W2k3 License server

The easy way is to install the license server to the Win 2000 TS or to retire the old TS.
    Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn:, Blog:

Re: Win2k TS to W2k3 License server

Getting rid of the old TS server is not an option.
      I did find some KB articles that show you can have a Win2k3 License server give out licenses for the W2k ts servers. This seems easier than trying to move the license server to a different server.

The question on if the W2k3 license server will hand out the per-device cals from its built-in pool to the W2k ts server is still not clear to me.