Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customize Search in Default User Profile

Hi,

Im making a new Default User Profile for oure TS Users and i want to include the Search option in the start menu but i dont want the users to have "Other search options" to search for computers / Printers ....

Does anyone know how to remove these features?

Tnx !!

Re: Customize Search in Default User Profile

All I can think of is, take a "normal" pc and take a snapshot of the registry. Customise the start menu, then take another snapshot, then run WINDIFF to discover the differences.

When I say "take a snapshot", I mean to export the registry to a text file.

Windiff can give huge output if a lot has changed in the registry, so if you have an idea of which branch the setting may be in, it is worth restricting the snapshot to just that branch, so that windiff's output is easier to read.

It helped me find a weird setting in Word that I needed to apply to lots of PCs. Once I knew what registry key held the setting, I exported just that key, eliminated any unwanted stuff, and then used
    Code:
    regedit /s nameofexportedfile.reg
    in a logon script.
    Best wishes,
    PaulH.
    MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

ok. i know that but there is no gui based setting in windows to remove "other search options"

Comment

Not as far as I know. There are billions of GPO settings, but I do not think there is one "out of the box" that does what you want.

Maybe someone else has come across this and knows the answer ?
        Best wishes,
        PaulH.
        MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Working...
        X