Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change Date/Time format for some users in TS 2003

Hello All,

I am running a little, single Windows 2003 SP1 terminal server in New York City. The terminal server was configured with United States time (12-hour) and United States date format (mm-dd-yyyy). I have some users in the UK that would like to have their time in military time (24-hour) and the date in dd-mm-yyyy.

I've seen a few links that suggust changing the registry. I'd love to accomplish this with only a GPO, but if changing the registry is the only way, then that's fine with me. However, what I found tells me to use regdmp.exe and after donwloading the Server 2003 resource kit, there is no regdmp.

These are the instructions I found:
    http://groups.google.com/group/micro...998f3cc7e888e5

Are there any other ways to change the date/time format? How do I get regdmp to work?

Thanks!
    Andre
    New York City

Re: Change Date/Time format for some users in TS 2003

Hi,

I am not sure I undestand fully, because I do not see a problem because regional settings are stored for each user so they can set their own and it will be preserved - let me tell you the experiment I just ran:

Create two users on an XP computer, one called USUser the other called UKUser. Login to the XP computer locally for each user. Setup each user's regional settings on the local XP computer as appropriate for each user (i.e. different).

Create two users, members of the Remote Desktop Users group on my Terminal Server. Give them the names UKUser and USUser.

Login locally to the XP computer as UKUser and then use RDP to login to the TS and set the regional settings in Control Panel to UK.

Logoff TS, logoff XP.

Login locally to the XP computer as USUser then use RDP to login to the TS and set the regional settings as US.

Test each user's TS one by one, and they DO preserve the formatting so each user has whatever regional settings he has set in Control panel on the TS.

So, if the UK users set their regional settings on the TS when they've logged into it, their region will be preserved.

Or am I completely misunderstanding?
    Best wishes,
    PaulH.
    MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply. I think you are confused a little - but not so much.

I have a windows server 2003 environment with users in Active Directory. Both UK and US users are in Active Directory. The UK users' computers are not in my domain (or my forest), so they log into my terminal server with the AD account from my domain.

I don't have access to their local machines. I'd like to have the ability to "allow" them to use their local time/date settings when logging into my terminal server, but that isn't happening. What is happening is that they are logging into the terminal server and the data/time is that of the terminal server.

Any ideas? I've been googling like crazy but no luck.
      Andre
      New York City

Comment

Well, it seems the bigger system administrator has change some security settings, because my users can now change their regional settings (control panel) themselves. Odd. This solves the problem for the NOW though.

Ideally, I'd like to create a GPO that allows me to have the UK date format, and then link that to a group. So simple, but I can't find it in the GPO settings.
        Andre
        New York City

Comment

I can't find a Group Policy to do this either. All I can suggest, if you wish to automatically set a user's regional settings, would be to use regedit.exe /s to merge a registry key, specifically HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International into his registry at logon.

You may have to experiment with it being either a startup script or a logon script - I am unclear as to which it should be. A startup script runs as SYSTEM so has more privileges, but a logon script runs as the logged on user so has his privileges.

Best wishes,
          Best wishes,
          PaulH.
          MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Working...
          X