TS as a DC or workgroup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS as a DC or workgroup

I have someone looking at getting a 2003 Server with at least 10 licenses for TS so remote locations can login to either accouting software - they only have 1 PC now with NO server.

I've read that TS should not be a DC - so should I just install it in a workgroup then if that's the case?

Re: TS as a DC or workgroup

Originally posted by hfctpl View Post
    I have someone looking at getting a 2003 Server with at least 10 licenses for TS so remote locations can login to either accouting software - they only have 1 PC now with NO server.

I've read that TS should not be a DC - so should I just install it in a workgroup then if that's the case?
    If it's going to be your only server I don't see why it shouldn't be a TS/DC/App combi box; in fact it's possible you should consider SBS 2003 (as long as it meets your terminal services requirements; I don't know if it does). Bear in mind it will have to be quite a beefy box, especially if you have a significant number of users.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
      ...in fact it's possible you should consider SBS 2003 (as long as it meets your terminal services requirements; I don't know if it does). ....
      Warning, guys! SBS2003 can only be used with the 2 admin mode built in licences. You can't get more than 2 on an SBS box, and hfctpl wants 10.

Since there is only 1 PC in the building, I believe hfctpl will be happy configuring his Server 2003 box as a workgroup - no need for it being a DC.

Of course, if the company is looking to expand in the future this will have to be reconfigured if they ever want a domain but I do find that while "scalability" is a good consideration, there are a lot of small family businesses that will most likely never grow to be more than twice their current size.

Oh, and regarding how powerful it needs to be - just get plenty of RAM, 4GB should be OK, I've had 15 TS users happily running on a fairly modest computer, but now I reckon you should go for a core2duo (whetever-the-things-are-called) and pack in the RAM.
      Last edited by PaulH; 7th March 2007, 18:41.
      Best wishes,
      PaulH.
      MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

OK good call Paul I didn't know you couldn't run Application TS in SBS 2003. So - no domain required, and Server 2003 is sufficient to the task.

Regarding the power again, I agree that the RAM is the major consideration; however I'm concerned about the processor simply because he's running an Application: Yeah 15 TS users running Office would be fine with a modest processor and 4Gb RAM - but what if you're running a fairly substantial SQL Server database and a nice phat front end app?

It of course entirely depends upon the original poster's situation; but it does need to be carefully considered.

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
          - but what if you're running a fairly substantial SQL Server database and a nice phat front end app?

It of course entirely depends upon the original poster's situation; but it does need to be carefully considered.
          Yep, you're totally right - I am thinking about an MS Access application that gets heavily hit by 15 users, but if the app is more demanding than that, he will certainly need more power.

Best wishes,
          Best wishes,
          PaulH.

Comment

I guess my issue is that they have no server now - so when I put in the TS - i wasn't sure if it should be a DC or a workgroup. I read that a TS should NOT be a DC. So when I do put in the TS - there might be up to 15 connections to it - from 3 different locations.

Comment

Install Windows Server 2003 and specify it's in a workgroup.
              Share out a folder so that it can be a file server.
              Add your user accounts to the local accounts, just like you would in XP (i.e. My Computer, right click -> Manage).
              Install Terminal Server licence server. (Don't forget this bit!)
              Install Terminal Server.
              Install Terminal Server licences.
              Allow people to connect by joining the user accounts to the Remote Desktop Users group.
              Install the software you want the end users to use on it (note: Do this after you have installed TS).

I think that's just about it - note no mention of DC or Active Directory at all. no doubt the good people on this forum will pitch in with their thoughts too. My idea is to keep it realy nice and simple. It'll be a Terminal Server and it'll be capable of sharing out files.
              Best wishes,
              PaulH.

Comment

There is an option that maybe can help you on sbs2003 instead of TS.

It's called Remote Web Workplace (a.k.a RWW) and it's based on IIS.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833983

Here you go a link with the overview...

Comment

Working...
                X