This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network spying...

Hi... My boss (finally) want's to see what employers are doing on their workstations (desktops)....
    Now, I need an application for "remote desktop spying-viewing", without need to install client side of software.

Every application that I have found is requiring server and client side installations, but I MUST evade client side install.

(I was thinking about GP softvare deployment and silent install option... but I would prefer without client side installations)

Re: Network spying...

I am speechless - aghast. Tell him to look in the event logs, tell him to use Windows Auditing for file access, and tell him to use the firewall/ISA server logs for web access. I simply cannot believe he wants to physically spy on a desktop machine. What an incredible breach of professional trust that would be.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Hmmmm.... Smells bad...
      I can tell you the action you describe here (spying after employees) is illegal in most countries. I don't know about yours...

Added: And how is this related to TS? Don't you think you are in the wrong forum?

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
      In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -
      «««««

Comment

Firs of all... I think it is also illegal to receive a paycheck at the and of the month and you are mostly playing some stupid games and abuseing resources and not doing your job ...
        After all, computers are not for personal use, but business and business only... So it is not illegal...(than you should also consider video surveillance illegal).

Second... I think that application that would be used here would use an RDP protocol... that's how I got here(TS forum)... I think it's OK...

Further more... Similar app's are sold widelly over the internet and their specific purpose is "Useful tool for employers who want to control their employees" and they are sold legally.

Sorry for disturbance... But I don't think I'm on the wrong forum...

I think this is a good forum, but some answers just can't be given... I understand the ethics...
        Last edited by kojo1984; 28th February 2007, 14:34.

Comment

I think it is also illegal to receive a paycheck at the and of the month and you are mostly playing some stupid games and abuseing resources and not doing your job
          So - let HR and management judge him on output, and remove all "crap" from his machine. Then prevent him installing "crap" on his machine through GPO. Restrict the applications he can run to those he needs for his job. Stop his internet access through the ISA/Firewall/Web Filter.

The answer is not to fire him, it's to force him to follow "your way". If he finds ways to NOT follow "your way", or if he finds ways to side-step company policy, THEN you fire him.

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

I completely agree with Tom.
            My problem is not watching your employees, but spying after them. It smells neither legal nor ethical.
            On the surveillance cameras you give people the choice. They know they are watched. But spying after them, without they knowing it?
            And I don't think RDP is a good idea. RDP doesn't work like that with XP. In XP, you have only one session. You connect to the XP through RDP, the console locks. And vice versa.
            For what it concerns me, I don't know of any way you can spy after other people. So I cannot help you with this.

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
            In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -
            «««««

Comment

RDP will not work for you at all, unless you really have a TS.

see this forum here as all the details (and legal issues ) where discussed there.

post back if you have any questions
              "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Kojo asked a question and deserves an answer without the moral high ground being preached. His boss has asked him to do something and he is carrying out those intructions.

RDP is not an option and I think this is one of two forums it could be posted in. If the Forum Mod doesn't think it belongs, move it to the Misc Forum.

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...ftware&spell=1 but I haven't checked them to see if client side installs are required thought this is most likely the case.

As per Tom's suggestion, firewall monitoring is probably the best option to use. Make sure your boss finds out what the laws are in regard to employee monitoring and make sure he informs the employees that they may/are being watched. Also have an Appropriate Use Policy created and have all staff members sign it so they know what is and what is not acceptable computer use.

A survey done about 3 years ago in a large US company estimated the Monday morning "send the joke email" was costing them US$60,000 in lost productivity. (Who knows what it is now.) What an incredible breach of professional trust these employees were costing their employer.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

There IS actually a way to view (RDP) a users session in windows XP. Though already possible for Terminal services on 2003.

I will not post a how-to, i just wanted to state the fact that it is really possible(although only on xp professional AFAIK), the reason for not posting this info, is that it is simply a hack, just like bypassing windows activation, which is also not legally allowed.
                  Please give points where appropriate

<I dont create ready scripts for you, but I'm willing to point you in the right direction>

Comment

Originally posted by Silver23 View Post
                    There IS actually a way to view (RDP) a users session in windows XP. Though already possible for Terminal services on 2003.

I will not post a how-to, i just wanted to state the fact that it is really possible(although only on xp professional AFAIK), the reason for not posting this info, is that it is simply a hack, just like bypassing windows activation, which is also not legally allowed.
                    Must be some form of unrequested Remote Assistance. And why is it "not legally allowed"
                    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

© 2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
                      Must be some form of unrequested Remote Assistance. And why is it "not legally allowed"
                      No, its a hack. I have seen it before. It is not related to remote assistance.
                      "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Is it blatantly illegal, immoral, reprehensible? How do I defend against it?

EDIT: Moderators / Admins: Is this a thread we wish to continue as it appears borderline at best?
                        Last edited by rvalstar; 28th February 2007, 22:12.
                        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

© 2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
                          I completely agree with Tom.
                          My problem is not watching your employees, but spying after them. It smells neither legal nor ethical.
                          On the surveillance cameras you give people the choice. They know they are watched. But spying after them, without they knowing it?
                          And I don't think RDP is a good idea. RDP doesn't work like that with XP. In XP, you have only one session. You connect to the XP through RDP, the console locks. And vice versa.
                          For what it concerns me, I don't know of any way you can spy after other people. So I cannot help you with this.
                          I do agree with you... They should be and WILL be noticed about "surveillance"...
                          I WILL also carry out my tehnical stuff and legal notices is their business...

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                            Kojo asked a question and deserves an answer without the moral high ground being preached. His boss has asked him to do something and he is carrying out those intructions.

RDP is not an option and I think this is one of two forums it could be posted in. If the Forum Mod doesn't think it belongs, move it to the Misc Forum.

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...ftware&spell=1 but I haven't checked them to see if client side installs are required thought this is most likely the case.

As per Tom's suggestion, firewall monitoring is probably the best option to use. Make sure your boss finds out what the laws are in regard to employee monitoring and make sure he informs the employees that they may/are being watched. Also have an Appropriate Use Policy created and have all staff members sign it so they know what is and what is not acceptable computer use.

A survey done about 3 years ago in a large US company estimated the Monday morning "send the joke email" was costing them US$60,000 in lost productivity. (Who knows what it is now.) What an incredible breach of professional trust these employees were costing their employer.
                            I Agree with you even more... you are the only who approched to my real problem! I did find some usefull software late last night, and now I'm searching over link you gave me! Long Live Australia and AC/DC

Thanks ones more a lot...

Comment

In view of the above posts and concern expressed, this thread is being closed.
                              1 1 was a racehorse.
                              2 2 was 1 2.
                              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                              X