Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TSErver with SBS advice..

Hi, folks.

I have a terminal server and an sbs server, both of which I need to access externally.

Terminal services is on 3389, as is remote desktop, so what is the best way to set up the ports and port forwarding so i can connect to either device as I choose ?

Thanks,

Neil
    Neil Mac

Re: TSErver with SBS advice..

Log onto your Tserver and from there to your SBS Server (using internal name).
    or
    You can change the listening port for either one.
    or
    If your firewall supports it you can NAT to different servers based on your incoming port.

which one makes the most sense to you?
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

I tried the method of logging on to the server via Remote (using port 3389 of course) then starting a session FROM the server to another machine (also using port 3389) and it really hosed the works for me.

I assume it is because the TS gets confused having both incoming and outgoing connections on port 3389.

I have found the best way for multiple servers (or workstations) inside the firewall is to set up Port Forwarding to Port 3389, then 3390, and so on to the desired target PCs or servers. It is handy if the target machines have a STATIC IP address so you don't have to keep modifying your firewall/router port forwarding settings.

Then you change the port that each target machine is listening on. That's a registry hack to accomplish this.

Finally (and this one still trips me up from time to time) you MUST remember to allow an exception for that port (on each machine) in the firewall settings if you have XP SP2. If you can't connect from INSIDE the firewall because of this, you won't be able to connect from the outside either.

Comment

Originally posted by rderby View Post
        I tried the method of logging on to the server via Remote (using port 3389 of course) then starting a session FROM the server to another machine (also using port 3389) and it really hosed the works for me.

I assume it is because the TS gets confused having both incoming and outgoing connections on port 3389.
        That is very strange, I do it all them time, sometimes 4 sessions one inside the other. (mostly 'cause i forget where i am and just keep opening new sessions )
        In any case it always works for me.

Opening a firewall port for each computer just does not seem right, even though it does work.
        "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Working...
        X