Terminal Services Printing Problems - many printers shown in Printer list

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terminal Services Printing Problems - many printers shown in Printer list

I have a customer who uses terminal services with thin clients. They have printers on the back of the thin clients and therefore use printer redirection so that from the session they can print back to the local printer. My question is when the users look at the printers they can print to they have a choice of 18 printers where in actual fact they use two lan based printers. Is there any way to be able to use the printer rediection but for them not to appear when actually selcting a printer to print to. They have a sbs server, Terminal Server and thin clients.

Any Help appreciated.

Thanks,
    Last edited by markiejd; 17th January 2007, 16:56.

Re: Terminal Services

3) Give your post a good topic (or subject line), reflecting the question's intentions

Bad examples:
    For example, if you use a topic like
    Quote:
    PLEASE HELP, I NEED HELP N O W !!!
    or a stupid subject line like
    Quote:
    Windows 2000 help
    I will personally kick you out of here. So is using idioting topic titles such as
    Quote:
    Hi!
    or
    Quote:
    I hate Microsoft
    I don't care about your love relations with Bill, I do care for my forums. Other people need to know what the thread is about, and using stupid titles like these won't help.
    Bad subject lines usually tell us it's a poorly written question. We don't like that.

Good example:
    On the contrary, using a topic like this one
    Quote:
    Help in recovering local admin pwd on WinXP SP2 floppyless laptop
    Will actually bring people in, the ones that know the answer, and also those who do not, but would like to find what the answer is.
    http://forums.petri.com/announcement.php?f=25

I suggest you change it to something more to do with the problem i.e. Printer redirection in Terminal Services before big bad D see's it

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

I have changed this just after it was posted but it has not taken effect

Comment

Strange, It should have taken effect straight away.

try it again, If it doesn't work then I'll report it an a potential problem. I can see that you have tried to change it.

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

I have changed this yet again and it has not updated. This must be an issue with the system.

Thanks,

Comment

It may take a mod/admin to edit the thread title as opposed to each posts title
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Let me understand: what disturbs you is the fact that you have 18 different printers?
              If so, I cannot help you. It's a "by design" issue from Microsoft. Whenever a user logs in and his printer is added, it will show in the list of available printers. However, his printer will be the default. My problems with this start when I connect all my Citrix users with the same username and password. There's no solution to it, according to both Microsoft and Citrix.
              I'm a bit puzzled here: first you say:
              printers on the back of the thin clients
              and then you say:
              they use two lan based printers
              . So how many printers do you have and are they networked or local?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
              -

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for confirming my thoughts. Firstly they have printers off most of the thin clients which the local users print to. They also have two heavy duty printers using IP Printing. The problem is that the thin client users who don't have a local printer have problems with looking through approx 18 printers. I have selected a default printer for them but they don't like that many showing.

When this was installed I was sure it worked like this, ie all printers showing then the customer said the other day that it only every displayed three printers, Hers and the two lan based printers so just wanted to double check.

Many thanks for your input. It shows that it has always been like this, if there is no solution it will have to stay like this.

Comment

Yeap, this is it. And is like this only for printers. If all your users will redirect their drives too, they won't see one another's drives.
                  The only way to reduce the number of printers is to use only the two networked printers.
                  And the number of printers change, according to the number of users logged in...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                  -

Comment

Working...
                  X