Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why reinstall apps after Terminal Server installation?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why reinstall apps after Terminal Server installation?

I was wondering why I have to reinstall apps after a terminal server installation. I have installed terminal server and not reinstalled anything. Everything still works as expected.

The main program people will be running is Vfox (Visual FoxPro 5/6) on the servers I am rolling Terminal Server out to. I so far haven't noticed any problem in this. I am running Windows 2003 Server.

Can somebody let me know if I am heading for a pitfall or if this is ok. I get the impression that the reason you are told in reinstall applications is to make sure that they are installed in multiuser mode, but I can't see why I'd want to do this if I'm not having problems with it.

Anyone care to explain?

Re: Why reinstall apps after Terminal Server installation?

Not too sure mate, If it's working them I would leave it..

Just make sure you fully test it (with multiple (L)users before you productionise it.

Just out of curiosity - Why did you install the app before making the server a TS? - why didn't you just install it afterwards?

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

First, because this is what Microsoft's recommends. Not that I do anything I'm told, but I learned that it's better to listen to their recommendations. It can save some frustration somewhere down the road. Especially if you need support...
      Now, seriously. I had the reason somewhere, I'll find the article and post it. It's related to the installation in multiuser environment. For instance, some installations will create a Windows folder under the user's folder in Document and Settings. This will make the application unusable, because other users will not have access to the DLLs and other stuff in the "local" Windows directory. Installing as it should be, will see that the DLLs are copied to the real Windows folder.
      As Michael already stated, Rule #1 in computing: "It's not broken, don't fix it!" Leave it as it is, until it will make troubles.
      Good luck.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

You sure...

Make sure your terminal server is in Application Server Mode (Windows 2000 Server) or has the role of Terminal Server (Windows Server 2003) before installing your software (unless this server is used specifically for remote administration)
        http://www.sessioncomputing.com/applications.htm

Install the programs you want to use with Terminal Server after Terminal Server is installed. This allows Terminal Server to register the programs for multisession access, making the programs easier to manage. For more information about installing programs, see Installing Programs.
        http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=true

Michael
        Last edited by m80arm; 10th January 2007, 21:55.
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X