Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Admin Pack Remote Desktops Listening Port

Hi All,

The stanadrd Remote Desktop Connection allows you to append a different listening port to the Computer Name\Ip (eg) 203.x.x.x:3388.

However the Remote Desktops Snapin ( from W2003 Admin Pack) doesnt allow this.

As I use this Snapin for a large number of remote Clients admin, does anyone know of a workaround for this.

Thanks in Advance

Taylor
    (Newbie to Forum)

Re: Admin Pack Remote Desktops Listening Port

I take it Remote Desktop doesn't lke it when you specify the IP address as x.x.x.x:3388??

I dont have a server listening on anyother port except 3389 so i cant really test this

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by m80arm View Post
      I take it Remote Desktop doesn't lke it when you specify the IP address as x.x.x.x:3388??
      No, it doesn't. It states the stupid error Server name cannot contain the ":" character, although the field name is Server name or IP Address... How come they didn't think of this ?!?
      IMHO, it cannot be a change in the snap-in itself, because you should be able to connect to different servers on different ports. This said, should be a change on per-server basis. But I found no solution for it.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

The remote desktops tool is unforunatly lacking behind in the update queue, not only is it horrible to navigate its lacking a number of new features. Just hoping Microsoft do something with it soon so I can manage all these servers a little better Please let us know if you find a work around for this. Good luck!

Comment

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies to date.

Maybe now that Mark Russinovich (sysinternals fame) is working at MS we will get a better snapin\tools for TS management that actually work.

Cheers

Taylor

Comment

Have you had a look at this. http://www.petri.com/use_rdp_client_...erent_port.htm

Check the Related Articles down the bottom of the page.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi, biggles77.
              I have to tell you I read the article and the related list. But didn't find anything helpful there.
              If I overlooked something, I would be much obliged if you could tell me.

10nx.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
              -

Comment

From my understanding, Taylor wanted to change the RDP listening port from 3389 to something different (338. The link I provided (and the Related links) tells you how to accomplish this. As in http://www.petri.com/add_a_new_rdp_l...nal_server.htm

Maybe I have misunderstood something in the question. (Won't be the first time, or the last).
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                  From my understanding, Taylor wanted to change the RDP listening port from 3389 to something different (338. The link I provided (and the Related links) tells you how to accomplish this. As in http://www.petri.com/add_a_new_rdp_l...nal_server.htm

Maybe I have misunderstood something in the question. (Won't be the first time, or the last).
                  No, he wants to use remote desktops snap-in (Available in the admin pack) to connect to multiple servers in the same MMC but connect using a different port. with RDC you can use FQDNort_No but this doesn't work within the remote desktops MMC snap in.

Michael
                  Michael Armstrong
                  www.m80arm.co.uk
                  MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Hello All,

Just thought that I would update this thread with some good news.

Vista does it.

Taylor

Comment

Working...
                    X