Running Applications from a UNC Path on Windows TS 2003 R2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Applications from a UNC Path on Windows TS 2003 R2

It is almost like it is suppressing the Open File - Security Warning Dialog Box!

All, to make the below easier to understand if I connect via a UNC path to ANY application e.g. cmd.exe; notepad.exe on another server (windows 2000 or 2003) or Workstation (XP) from a Terminal Server 2003 R2 session even as Domain Admin I get the error message 'Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item'. I can run the apps locally. This occurs even when connected to the Console Session.

Hi all,

I have a Windows 2003 R2 Terminal Server and we have a setup where users have a locked down desktop on their TS sessions with a couple of shortcuts that point to Applications on the TS server. The shortcuts themselves are on a different server and are accessed using a GPO with a redirected Start Menu. When I try to run the applications I receive the message 'Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item'. This happens even as Domain Admin. If I move the shortcut onto the desktop of the TS it will run with no issue. I have created a workaround whereby I repointed the Start Menu to the local machine but I have had to put in the path as 'C:\...etc'. If I put a UNC path to a share on the TS itself the same error occurs. This is not ideal for our setup. We have this setup on about 30 other sites with no problems but this is the first where we have the TS as 2003 R2 (others have either 2000 or 2003 R1). I can run an application such as notepad but cannot seem to run .exe. This issue occurs whether I run shortcuts to applications or applications themselves. I have looked at the Local Policies on the TS and can see nothing directly related to this.

To summise - I cannot run applications from a Windows 2003 R2 Terminal session using a UNC path.

Thanks

James
    Last edited by jhmorris; 4th January 2007, 14:28. Reason: Additional Info

Re: Running Applications from a UNC Path on Windows TS 2003 R2

I have sussed it. The difference was IE7. I have to do the following:-

Internet Explorer Options
    Security
    Local Intranet
    Sites
    and add \\servername

It will appear as file://servename

James

Comment

Upgrading to IE7 does seem to nuke any sites you had in previous versions.

I tend to put my local servers that require it (SharePoint) in Trusted Sites (set to Low -- didn't want to muck w/ the extra settings in Local Intranet) and I haven't had to put the leading \\.

If you omit the \\, does your UNC access stop working?

Curious.
      Last edited by rvalstar; 4th January 2007, 15:19.
      Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

I am having a similiar problem.

Terminal Server can run the application fine. We published it via citrix but it gives the following error: windows error: 5 Unable to launch application

If we login to citrix' desktop via citrix client it still blocks the application.

The application is in an another server and exe file path is like this:
        \\servername\foldername1\Foldername2\filename.exe env=Live prod=AZ

we can browse the folder conents but can't run the app. Something is blocking. I unistalled IE7 just in case to eliminate the problem but still it doesn't work.

anybody knows UNC restirction removals?

Thank in advance!
        Attached Files
        Ka Mate Ka Mate Ka Ora!

My Brute:
        http://kurrrpago.mybrute.com

Comment

hello

to troubleshoot this issue ==> acces denied
          first realize a netmon trace and analyze it in both side (clietn / server)

use filemon on the server side to understans for who and why the denied is happenning

cheers

Mig

Comment

Working...
          X