Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REmote access

Hi all,

Actually one of my friend access my pc remotely with the help of intelliadmin lan edition and omniquard software,so i want to block his access so that he can't able to connect my pc.

All the pc connected in our network using win 200 pro with service pack 4 operating system and secondly how can i check the logs if somebody access the pc from the network.

Re: REmote access

Well, let's see.
    I'm not accustomed to IntelliAdmin Lan Edition , but a short investigation revealed enough info to make it available to you too. I hope it will help.
    Searching the product's site, I found the following paragraph:
    There are a few reasons why you may not be able to connect to a remote machine:

-A firewall is blocking port 2790
    -The remote computer is running Windows 95/98/ME
    -You do not have administrative privileges on the remote machine
    -The remote computer is running Windows XP SP2
    As such, if you want to block someone else from connecting to your computer, just see that at least one of these condition will apply (except the old OS issue, I presume that your computer is not running any of those).

Good luck. And keep the forum posted.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Hi all,

I WANT TO BLOCK HIS ACCESS TO MY PC ,all the computers in the network has win 2000 pro (service pack 4) installed.

so can we block his access through local security policy,is there is any other way so that no one in the network could access my pc.

Comment

Sirdon, Please dont SHOUT. Some of us have delicate heads this morning

If you know what allows access, stopping some of that will prevent access. For example, block port 2790 or remove his admin credentials.

If this is a corporate environment, report it to your network administrator for disciplinary action -- in the UK it is a criminal offence.

Tom
        Last edited by Ossian; 1st January 2007, 09:45.
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Shouldn't be a problem:
          1) taking in consideration that you are using Win2000 Pro, the XPSP2 option is irrelevant;
          2) to block port 2790 in Win2000 Pro you need:
          - a 3rd party software or
          - use IpSec.
          I would use both as last resort, since their implementation has setbacks.
          And the winner is:
          3) administrative privileges. Change the local Administrator's password. If you can do this from within your user, it means that you are part of the Administrators group also, thus you need to change your password too. If not, login as the local Administrator . And if there are additional usernames in the Administrators group, remove them or change their passwords.
          Be warned: doing all the above will make you the only one responsible for your station. If you don't reveal your passwords to anyone else, and you'll forget them, you'll have to work hard to get back into your station. The same if a maintenance procedure should be applied on your station.
          This saying, see this post as an advice. I will not take or have any responsibility for your actions !

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
            Sirdon, Please dont SHOUT. Some of us have delicate heads this morning

If you know what allows access, stopping some of that will prevent access. For example, block port 2790 or remove his admin credentials.

If this is a corporate environment, report it to your network administrator for disciplinary action -- in the UK it is a criminal offence.

Tom
            Dear sir,

Actually iam not a tech freak so pls tell me the step to block port,win 200 pro os installed in my pc.

Comment

Originally posted by SIRDON View Post
              Dear sir,

Actually iam not a tech freak so pls tell me the step to block port,win 200 pro os installed in my pc.
              Since you mentioned using local security policy, it was a natural assumption you had some fairly deep technical knowledge. Then again, we all know what ass-u-me does!

Please tell us more about your environment -- domain or workgroup, firewalls installed, what permissions you have both locally and on the domain.

Tom
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I found your article regarding ms remote assistance. My grandson brought his desktop computer to me wondering why it wasn't working properly. I'm not a tech but told him I'd take a look see. The OS is ms xp pro. After removing a ton of temp files and cookies, I ran Norton AV. It quarantined a virus named infosteal. I noticed a title "remote asstance" on the program list. Not familiar with what it is, I googled the name and found your article. I don't know if there is a connection with that and the virus but I suspect there may be. How can I uninstall, disable, or remove "remote assistance"? How will that affect his ability to get assistance from an online microsoft tech in the future? Thank you . . .

Comment

Remote assistance is part of Windows Operating System. It is not a virus, thus not being your problem or concern. And I don't think Microsoft professionals use it to give you online assistance (am I wrong?).
                  I would:
                  - do another full scan and verify that there are no more viruses left in the computer;
                  - keep my antivirus software updated, and set to be as active as it is possible (real-time protection on files and e-mails and Internet. Full scan at least once a week);
                  - use firewall (you didn't say if you have SP2 installed, so I don't know if you already have one);
                  There might be other steps, but this is what comes to my mind at the moment.
                  Hope this helps.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

To disable Remote Assistance:

Go to Control Panel\System and select the Remote tab. There you can "uncheck" Remote Assistance and (if desired) Remote Desktop. Click OK.

Should you require it in the future, just "check" the boxes and you'll be back in business.
                    Last edited by rvalstar; 17th January 2007, 08:44.
                    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

The last three posts above should be in a new thread.
                      Reported to forum mods for appropriate action
                      Tom Jones
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

Comment

Working...
                      X