Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blade for TS-BL 460c vs BL 465c Which One?, Why?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blade for TS-BL 460c vs BL 465c Which One?, Why?

First a Big hello to all the guys around.
    Second i know that this forum is not about hardware but also i know that the people here knows a lot about server hardware, so i'll let me ask this.

Our company will migrate our obsolete Metaframe (under NT4 TS) farm to a new windows server 2003 farm.

We'll gonna try a HP Blade System.

But which one should we choose between The BL460c option with brand new Woodcrest or the BL465c with the amazing Opteron and why?.

Its look likes the different is just the processor and the chipset.

We gonna choose the partitions (every server in the blade) with just one Dual core processor and supposedly in 2008 upgrade to quad core processors, so i wanna know which is our best bet.

Thank you and Regards.

Sorry for my english
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return.

Leonardo da Vinci

Re: Blade for TS-BL 460c vs BL 465c Which One?, Why?

Nobody, please give me some light here..
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return.

Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

You may not have noticed by it is holiday time in many parts of the world so not everyone is jumping onto the forums to answer your question. Besides, you have only had the question posted for less than 24 hours.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
        You may not have noticed by it is holiday time in many parts of the world so not everyone is jumping onto the forums to answer your question. Besides, you have only had the question posted for less than 24 hours.

Sorry and Thank you Biggles, but you know, sometimes the people (me in this case) becomes like whore for attention.

Anyway thank you for the call and i'll just wait calm now..

Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

I guess that you dont go to buy a CPU's with Quad support and you dont plan to use 64 bit/Windows 2003 Enterprise so the best for you will be the low price server.

2x Dual Core CPU's
          4 GB RAM
          2x 74-146 SAS Disks
          Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Not right now. I'll have those plans for 2008 for that is why i asking between AMD or Intel, because when the time for the upgrade comes i wanna have the best option and course the best performance for the upgrade.

Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

If you plan to "upgrade" 18 months out, a new processor / chipset / price point will most surely be in place that upgrading the old blade chassis will be more expensive than retasking the old equipment to less strenuous service and buying new.

I've been in the computer business for about 25 years and this has been an almost universal truth. I bet if I look, here is an economic corollary to Moore's law that predicts this.

I used to buy with expansion and upgrades in mind but the balance sheet over time always showed that buying what you need now with the expectation to replace it always had a better return on investment. This was a tough sell in the old days.
              Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
                If you plan to "upgrade" 18 months out, a new processor / chipset / price point will most surely be in place that upgrading the old blade chassis will be more expensive than retasking the old equipment to less strenuous service and buying new.

I've been in the computer business for about 25 years and this has been an almost universal truth. I bet if I look, here is an economic corollary to Moore's law that predicts this.

I used to buy with expansion and upgrades in mind but the balance sheet over time always showed that buying what you need now with the expectation to replace it always had a better return on investment. This was a tough sell in the old days.
                Course rvalstar is true what you said, for that is that we'll buy what we do need now. That is the blade with just one dual core processor per blade.

Maybe i didn't write fine what i wanna, so let me explain again.

I'll buy one of those blades equipment the amd or the intel with just one dual core processor per blade, but thinking in the future concerning my future options for an upgrade (just imagine that in 2008 i need more power because our TS farm grow up) what i must choose, intel (quad core, but i'm worry if we qc the bus will still a limit factor in this architecture) or amd (quad core with hypertransport not bandwith limited but more or less performance limited bearing in mind the woodcreest or clovertown).

Course maybe the AMD Quadcore will be by far or equal in performance than Clovertown, so if this is true then AMD will be a better choice and perhaps i could save some dollars if i buy AMD.

Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Originally posted by Nehemoth View Post
                  I'll buy one of those blades equipment the amd or the intel with just one dual core processor per blade, but thinking in the future concerning my future options for an upgrade (just imagine that in 2008 i need more power because our TS farm grow up) what i must choose, intel (quad core, but i'm worry if we qc the bus will still a limit factor in this architecture) or amd (quad core with hypertransport not bandwith limited but more or less performance limited bearing in mind the woodcreest or clovertown).

Course maybe the AMD Quadcore will be by far or equal in performance than Clovertown, so if this is true then AMD will be a better choice and perhaps i could save some dollars if i buy AMD.
                  Looks like you are still worrying about upgrade capabilities.

Under my "plan", you would decouple today's purchase from the one 18 - 24 months out. An AMD vs. Intel purchase today makes no difference on the AMD vs. Intel purchase in the future. My contention is you will replace the blade cage / backplane as well as the blades due to technological advances thus the two events are disconnected. I could be wrong but I doubt it, especially if you're next purchase is closer to 24 months out. The blades and cage you buy today will all be superceded by faster, cheaper models by then -- both Intel and AMD -- and I'll bet the new models will not retrofit into today's cage.

Work on a strategy to take today's purchase and re-task it as a test or disaster recovery platform in the future.

Easy for me to say as it's not my $$$

EDIT -- P.S., Buy HP as I have stock options and every little bit helps.
                  Last edited by rvalstar; 3rd January 2007, 20:43. Reason: HP grovel
                  Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Thank you all for the reply.

We'll choose the BL365c.

Course if somebody has something to add be welcome to do it

regards

Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Working...
                    X