Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RDP requires user approval to log in

All systems are XP Pro.

I've been using RDP to connect to a computer that functions as a file server at my wife's office for some time now so I am not new to this.

It was so handy, that I thought I'd set up another computer in the office also. I did the change in the registry for changing the port number, set up the router, XP Firewall (this one I overlooked at first) and I can connect. However, my wife, sitting in front of this computer at her office, must OK my log-in for it to work.

This baffles me because I have everything set up the same as the computer I have been connecting to. The obvious difference being the change to the port number so I feel this has to be the key, but what to do ........... I do not know.

The server I have been connecting to all along runs daily under a Limited account the same as all the others. When I connect to it, I am prompted to kick the user off and do. When connecting to the newly set up computer, I am told I must wait for current user to allow me to log in. Sorry, but I don't have the exact wording.

What could be wrong?

Re: RDP requires user approval to log in

In System Properties - Remote Desktop - Select Remote Users, are you listed as one of the users assigned permission to connect remotely?
    Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

Yes I am. At this time I am the only user listed there.

Comment

The current user doesn't interact with Remote Desktop that I am aware of, however, with Remote Assistance and Offer Remote Assistance they do. Is there a chance the two have become mixed up as a result of the registry edit?

Have you disabled the XP firewall at both ends while you diagnose this?
        Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
          The current user doesn't interact with Remote Desktop that I am aware of, however, with Remote Assistance and Offer Remote Assistance they do. Is there a chance the two have become mixed up as a result of the registry edit?

My first thought was maybe, but I did it following this KB article. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306759

Have you disabled the XP firewall at both ends while you diagnose this?

No, actually. I have just opened the ports I needed. I will try this, hopefully today.
          What's up with the "The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen you message to at least 10 characters"?

Comment

Are you logging on with an administrator account? If not then you won't get the option to boot the current user off. You'll need to wait for them to log off.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Could be that the XPs are in an AD environment? Or more than that, working in some TS mode? Take a look at the attached rdp1.jpg. This is the only place I know that deals with remote control and permissions being asked.
              When you connect to the "file server", there's no user logged on, thus no questions being asked. But when you connect to your wife's computer, she is already logged on, thus you are supposed to wait for her approval. But this does not happen on ordinary XP. The user is just thrown out (logged off).
              Does this make sense? Is this the case?
              BTW, if this is the case, I wouldn't change the setting. Nothing is more annoying for a user than being logged off in the middle of something.
              Last edited by sorinso; 9th November 2007, 21:09.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
              -

Comment

unless i'm missing something, you are using an XP box as your server!!..

if so, you can only ever have one person logged in!...that is the reason for it kicking off whoever else is on it!

that is the limitation of XP as it's only a personal OS and not a Server OS..

you can setup a million accounts on this system, but you will never have two users on it at once.

Comment

Working...
                X