No announcement yet.

Terminal Server license server(s)? RDP client for Windows2K?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terminal Server license server(s)? RDP client for Windows2K?

I'm looking at setting up windows 2003 terminal servers all over the place to replace the awful thing people are currently doing here - vncing servers with one small shared password among everyone <holding my hands over my ears for the backlash>. Don't blame me, it's another awful legacy I have to get rid of...

1. I've got to set up a Terminal Server Licensing server and was thinking about putting this on my second domain controller. I was wondering what would happen in this server dies, though. Is there some way of having resilience in this scenario? Perhaps a second Licensing server or something, the way you have 2 or more Domain Controllers?

2. Also, I know that Windows XP has an RDP client, I've used before on many occasions, but what about all the Windows 2000 clients that I still have out there. What should I do for them to access the new Terminal Servers?

Re: Terminal Server license server(s)? RDP client for Windows2K?

Hi humbletech99,

Dont worry, we all feel your pain.

1. Never done this before but a quick found this:

Q. How do I configure Terminal Services Licensing servers for redundancy or high availability?

A. The recommended method to configure Terminal Services Licensing servers for high availability is to install at least two Terminal Services Licensing servers with available Terminal Services CALs. Each server will then advertise in Active Directory as enterprise license servers with regard to the following Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP):

//CN=TS-Enterprise-License-Server,CN=site name,CN=sites,CN=configuration-container

Each Terminal Services Licensing server should contain 50 percent of your CALs for load balancing within your environment. If a Terminal Services Licensing server does not have valid CALs, then that Terminal Services Licensing server will attempt to refer to other Terminal Services Licensing servers with valid CALs for license issuance. (This applies to both enterprise license servers and domain license servers.)

Please review the License Issuance matrix to see all possible high-availability scenarios concerning temporary and permanent license issuance.

Each client will begin a license request and upgrade 7 days before the license expiration date. This should allow sufficient time to address any issues with individual Terminal Services Licensing servers. If all Terminal Services Licensing servers are down at the same time, new clients or clients with expired licenses will be denied access. In addition, Terminal Services Licensing servers should be separated by network subnets to ensure that a network outage does not prevent users from connecting to a Terminal Services Licensing server.

Finally, administrators should use the Terminal Server Licensing Tool to ensure that at least 10 percent of their CALs are available on each licensing server. Conversely, if available licenses are limited to a single licensing server that suffers an outage, clients with expired licenses will be denied access immediately, and clients with licenses expiring within 7 days will be denied access as they meet their expiration dates.

2. Download and install the RDP client for windows 2000 - Find info here:

Not too sure if version 6 will work on 2000 but 5.2 should be fine.

Hope this helps

Michael Armstrong
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

RDP Version 6.0 does not works on Windows 2000 (I tried on a Win2k SP4 Machine).

Thanks & Regards

Computer Science Graduate

It isn't supposed to be. RDP6 is supported for XP and 2003 only (for both 32- and 64-bit versions).
        And haven't check 5.2 with Windows 2000 Professional. But in Daniel's article regarding 5.2 is stated that should work on it.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.