No announcement yet.

creation of user folders in D:\ instead of C:\

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• creation of user folders in D:\ instead of C:\

We have deployed a thin client set up in our office with the server HDD having partions C and D. Be default windows 2003 server has been installed in the C drive, which however is much smaller the the D and the C drive has been kept only for windows and software/applications.

At present when a user logs in for the first time, his profile, etc. is created by default under "documents and settings" in the C drive.

To conserve the limited space on the C drive, we want that this user folder is created not in :\ but D:\.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Re: creation of user folders in D:\ instead of C:\

Create shorcuts. For example, if Small Business Server creates \\servername\users\username move the folder username to D: and create a shortcut called username in \\servername\users\ and point it to the share on D: that has the user's folder.

I recently had to do this on an SBS network were I added a Dell PowerVault NAS and moved all the users folders off the SBS server and to the NAS server.

With SBS, the process is not automatic for new accounts. If I create a new user using Server Manager I have to manually create the shorcut and move the new users folder to the NAS server.

Is this what you might be after?
    Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Re: creation of user folders in D:\ instead of C:\

There may be a GPO tweak but I'm not the GPO expert here. There is a registry value that should work. Experiment with:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList]

The default valuie is:

"ProfilesDirectory"=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00 ,74,00,65,00,6d,00,44,00,72,\
      00,69,00,76,00,65,00,25,00,5c,00,44,00,6f,00,63,00 ,75,00,6d,00,65,00,6e,00,\
      74,00,73,00,20,00,61,00,6e,00,64,00,20,00,53,00,65 ,00,74,00,74,00,69,00,6e,\

"ProfilesDirectory"="%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings"

Change to D:\Documents and Settings and see if it cures your issue.

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.