No announcement yet.

Windows 2003 DC terminal Server

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2003 DC terminal Server

I have a question regarding terminal services on a 2003 server.

A colleague of mine thinks it is possible to run windows 2003 terminal services on a windows 2003 Domain Controller with exchange installed on it too.

There are max 15 clients going connect to it.

I think that it is advisable to seprete these two functions on 2 different servers,
    so 1 Domain Controller and 1 Terminal Server.

If i am right, could someone give a clear explanation on why to do this?

Re: Windows 2003 DC terminal Server

This article doesn't suggest that you cannot have 2003 DC as a TS servers as well, just advises against it:

Plan to install Terminal Server on a standalone server, not on a domain controller. When installed on a domain controller, Terminal Server performance is affected because of the additional memory, network traffic, and processor time required to perform the tasks of a domain controller in a domain.
    I would DEFINATELY recommend against it. Why would you want users connecting to your DC, god knows what havoc they could cause. Ideal solution would be to have 4 servers - 2 x DC's, 1 x Exchange and 1 x TS. Obviously this is not always cost effective so perhaps having 1 DC with exchange and one TS. This is possible but also frowned against

Hope this helps

Michael Armstrong
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Re: Windows 2003 DC terminal Server

Ok, thanks for the info..