Help with WS 2003 Terminal Server Sessions Freezing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with WS 2003 Terminal Server Sessions Freezing

We are having intermittent problems with the Terminal Server sessions freezing, sometimes up to 2 minutes. It affects the local machine and nothing will respond until the session releases. Sometimes the session display is black and moments before it releases, it will display a large red boarded network disconnect icon in the top right corner of the session screen...Sometimes...its a random symptom, sometimes it just displays the last screen shot before it releases.

It happens after a period of inactivity, duration of inactivity can be 2 minutes or 20 minutes, no pattern noticed other than it always happens moving between the RDP session and local machine session. I have disabled the screen saver in the session and the power scheme is set to "always on"

I suspect it is related to the TS configuration and idle sessions but have not been able to find any related articles specific to the problem and 2003 server. The sessions are set to "never" for duration and idle.

The 2003 server is a Dell PE2850 with dual 3g Xeon processors, 4 gig RAM, 4 drive on a Perc4I controller RAID5. Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard SP1 in application mode. Licensing is on and installed 10 CALS. The server is a standalone server housed in a co-location facility and is its own workgroup. The clients all are broadband from multiple vendors. No error logs on the server to correlate the freeze on the local machines. Never lost a session.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Berry

Re: Help with WS 2003 Terminal Server Sessions Freezing

1. Upgrade the Dell server to the latest BIOS/Firmware/drivers.
    2. Collect error reports from Dell BIOS.
    3. Disable antivirus on the server (for test).
    4. While the server freeze, try to logon local. Please post the result.
    5. Review event viewer.
    6. Please install the required hotfixes after SP1 installation:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

6. You can enable debug mode for TS.
    Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Check Event Viewer if any of monitored logs has reached its limit.... I have seen some stupid behaviors (also with TS freezing up) when my Security log has reached its limit of 64MB (the properties of Securiy log was set to "overwrite old events when size of log file reaches max"...but it was no good).

Comment

Thank you gentlemen for your assistance.

The event logs are small, around 256k, its a new server. I will check the bios settings when I get down to the co-location facility.

Keep sending your suggestions.

Berry

Comment

I have implemented all your suggestions, and we are still experiencing the behavior on multiple machines. The only thing, I have not been able to verify is the console at the server.

The pause is repeatable, the session hangs momentarly (~30sec) after a period of inactivity with the session minimized. The session, when clicked will pop back to full screen but will not respond for the approximate 30 secs and all mouse clicks and keyboard function is non-responsive. Just prior to the session opening up, the red bordered network symbol with red X is displayed. I have not been able to screen caputure it though.

No error logs on server or local client corresponding to the event. I have made changes to the Terminal Server Configuration on the RDP connection properties page to "Override user Settings". Changed end a disconnect session to 1 minute and left the other 2 settings at never.

I am working on theory that the sessions may be timing out below the application level, and that the pause is the session re-connecting.

Will advise progress.
          Thanks again

Comment

Changing the setting on the RDP configuration to reset the connection proved to be informational...Got the session to freeze, then it took upwards of 1 min to release and had the login prompt. I captured the icon that appears just before the session releases and becomes active.

See attached.

Event logs on the server report 551 and 538 and state that the logoff was initiated by the user.

Getting closer?
            Attached Files

Comment

Still experiencing the problem...Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks.

Comment

Please uninstall the graphic card driver and try again...
                You can try to reinstall the OS from scratch.
                Also, I hope that you used Dell Server Assistant to install the server..
                Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Working...
                X