Upgrade RAM in our Terminal Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade RAM in our Terminal Server

We have a Windows 2003 Terminal Server (DELL server) with 2GB. I'd like to upgrade the RAM from 2GB to 4 GB. Will this make a difference to TS? IE. Will TS use the extra RAM?

This is what our TS server is doing at the moment..... Does it look too busy to you?

Windows 2003 server Standard Edition.
    Last edited by JDMils; 11th October 2006, 07:54.
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: Upgrade RAM in our Terminal Server

This screen capture is not showing enough information about your memory usage. It is another easy way to check that. Use task manager -> Performance Tab and there is Physical Memory. You can see usage of memory (capacity). I prefer minimum 512 to be Available during usage hours of server. If there is les than 512 available that i prefer to add more ram.
    Arber I. Ibrahimi

Comment

Here's a couple of screen shots of our TS with 13 active users:

Performance Monitor:

Task Manager:

What do you think? Is it sitting there doing nothing or should I be adding more RAM?
      |
      +-- JDMils
      |
      |

Comment

Why would you want to add RAm when you have 1GB available???

Personally i would say it looks fine.

Are you having specific issues like slowdown?? or anything else??

Comment

If you captured those images during normal load of your server, I think you dont nead to add RAM.
          Arber I. Ibrahimi

Comment

Yes. These were taken with around 13 people logged in, which for us is a normal day's load.

Our problem is that TS slows RIGHT down for all our satellite offices. We have two 512K ADSL connections to the same ISP, one for internet and one for TS, but I've found that if I download on the internet line the TS line is affected and slows down.

I just wanted to know if maybe it was the terminal server box itself, maybe more ram would fix it if it was NOT line speed related.

Looks like from what you guys are saying that the server is running fine, so my problem looks like it lies in the ADSL connections.
            |
            +-- JDMils
            |
            |

Comment

How many users are connecting to the TS via ADSL??

Comment

TS is only for external satellite offices and their users. So there are 13 people using our 512Kb SHDSL connection, connected to TS!

I know what you're going to say and i agree. I am currently commissioning a 10 MB/s wireless connection to a new ISP. 2MB/s is for internet access and an 8MB/s VLAN for the TS users. I know this is an overkill, but the directors here are going to crucify me if I don't get TS running quicker. Once I have the system running for 3 months and guaged the overall bandwidth use of the TS users on the VLAN, I can then make an informed decision on how to redistribute the ratio.

Thanks.
                |
                +-- JDMils
                |
                |

Comment

Is your connection 512KB ADSL or 512KB SHDSL??

Comment

SHDSL- sorry.
                    |
                    +-- JDMils
                    |
                    |

Comment

So you should have a thoeretical 512KB upload speed.

Split this across 13 users and it gives you approx 40KB per user. Remember this is the theoretical speed and not the real speed.

Also another thing to remember is that if your connections upload speed gets maxed out this will affect your download.

Comment

Originally posted by JDMils View Post
                        Yes. These were taken with around 13 people logged in, which for us is a normal day's load.

Our problem is that TS slows RIGHT down for all our satellite offices. We have two 512K ADSL connections to the same ISP, one for internet and one for TS, but I've found that if I download on the internet line the TS line is affected and slows down.

I just wanted to know if maybe it was the terminal server box itself, maybe more ram would fix it if it was NOT line speed related.

Looks like from what you guys are saying that the server is running fine, so my problem looks like it lies in the ADSL connections.
                        Hi
                        I'm facing the exact setup, two 512 connections one for internet and one for TS.
                        I was wondering for how many users was it working fine before it started to slow down?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by obarshishat View Post
                          Hi
                          I'm facing the exact setup, two 512 connections one for internet and one for TS.
                          I was wondering for how many users was it working fine before it started to slow down?

Thanks
                          You really should have started a new thread for this and not hijacked an old one.

Comment

Originally posted by obarshishat View Post
                            Hi

Thanks
                            Since our two internet connections went to the same ISP, this meant that they also went to the same router at the ISP, thus anything downloading on one would also affect the other!

The only way to fix this would be to have one connection to ISP #1 and the other to ISP #2.
                            |
                            +-- JDMils
                            |
                            |

Comment

Working...
                            X