I can RD my w2k server but not win2003 behind firewall please help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can RD my w2k server but not win2003 behind firewall please help

Hi guys, hello to everyone, this is my first post, I am really desperate to find a forum with technical expertise like this one, I hope you can give time to help me with my problem, so this is my situation:

In the office, I have 3 win2000 servers and 2 win2003 servers, within the LAN(office) I can RD all of them no problem but at home I can only access the 3 win2000 servers but not the win2003's, I can see from the router log that port 3389 has been forwarded to my win2003 but that does nt seem to work so I think there is no problem with routing, and also considering that I can acess my w2k servers.

I am pretty sure that this is a matter of win2003 security but I do not know where to start. Please help i have been trying to solve this problem for almost a week now and I already surrendered .

Thank you everyone in advance for you time and I am looking forward to contribute something useful in the future.

Best regards,
    Jovel
    Last edited by jovel; 8th October 2006, 12:10.

Re: I can RD my w2k server but not win2003 behind firewall please help

1. Run telnet ip 3389 from outside and check that the 2003 TS answer you.
    2. Try local administrator user/pass for logon and use RDP 5.2 on XP SP2 machine.

Please post the results.
    Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Hi Yuval,

Many thanks for your reply, I have tried the following:
      1. from home I've tried: telnet IP (public IP of router) 3389 result: connect failed also remote desktop failed.
      2. in the office I've tried: telnet IP (private IP) 3389 result is just a black/blank screen witout error but remote desktop works!
      3. Yes, I am using rdp 5.2 on XP sp2

Likewise, I have the same problem with FTP, it works inside but not outside on the same win2003 servers but FTP works fine with my w2k servers both inside and out

Again many thanks I hope you could help me on this.
      Awaiting your advise

Jovel

Comment

This may sound like a stupid question and i don't mean to cause any offence but you have put a tick in the check box marked Enable Remote Desktop on this Computer??
        Attached Files

Comment

Good point Wullieb1, if that doesnt work, turn your firewall of and see if that doesnt work.

Comment

Hi
            if i am understanding it right you can RDP from inside the company but not from outside...

so the checkbox for RDP is enabled...

do you connect with some VPN software to the company?

is some other firewall active?
            is the connection:
            home - company router - server
            or
            home vpn SF - company router - firewall - server
            MCSE 2000 Done
            RHCE Done

Comment

Also have you forwarded ports 3389 on YOUR router to your PC??

If you are blocking all incoming traffic then you may be blocking the replies from the server back to your machine.

Comment

Thank you so much guys for your replies, again I will repeat my situation:
                1. In the office (LAN), i can RDC both W2K & W2003 servers
                2. At home, I can only RDC W2K servers in the office.
                3. From outside my router is forwarding port 3389 to all servers properly
                4. My home connection is dialup to ISP

Pls take note that I can access W2K servers from outside but not w2003 (not even the login screen)

Hi wullieb1, yes remote desktop setting is enabled because I can RDC from inside.
                Hi stephanb, yes firewall setting of w2003 is off.
                Hi Yanib, No vpn software, firewall forwards 3389 to servers, connection is dialup home-isp-firewall-server

Anymore ideas?

Regards to all
                Jovel
                Last edited by jovel; 10th October 2006, 08:11.

Comment

You cant setup two firewall rules to the same target port and the same public ip.
                  You will need to setup a new public IP on the router or setup win 2003 TS to use
                  another port (not TCP 3389) and setup the clients to connect to the TS with the
                  new IP and the new port.

net stats srv
                  Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Hi Yuval,

Yes, Each of the servers have their own public IP set on the router.

I also tried putting the win2003 servers in front of the firewall so I can ping them directly from home but still connection failed.

Anymore suggestion?

Thanks
                    Jovel

Comment

1.check the firewall logs

2.or try for the test only to give the 2003 server the ip form the 2k server where RDP is working and see if it works... (dont forget to change the ip from the 2k to something else)

3.you can try to RDP the 2k server (you say it works) and then from there RDP the 2003server (should work) and if it works then its some FW rules... port etc problem
                      MCSE 2000 Done
                      RHCE Done

Comment

Please buy a real firewall like Netscreen 5GT etc.
                        I guess that this limitation exiting in current "router" that you use.
                        Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

Comment

or use some linux box... iptables firewall is very strong

another free firewall is ipcop http://ipcop.org/
                          and the VPN addon http://zerina.de/

so with this 2 free software you have a full firewall linux based (very strong) and vpn solution users can connect to your lan with vpn software
                          MCSE 2000 Done
                          RHCE Done

Comment

Working...
                          X