MOM 2005 Alert Rules

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOM 2005 Alert Rules

Well since this new forum is here I might as well use it.

MOM 2005 - What a $&*"%!!!

We have a management server setup fine, we have all the management packs installed, all the agents installed, Computer Groups setup. Everything is working fine with regards to alerts coming into the operator console, (there are probably a few too many, but we will sort this out over time).

Now my problem.......Email Alerting !!!

It certainly looks like I have to go through every single rule and apply the notification settings on each individual one, that cannot be right can it ?!?!

Can't I set one global alert rule for each management pack, that says any alerts raised in this mgpk (and it's child folders), email someone. Surely this must be possible.

Thanks Guys
    Topper.
    * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Re: MOM 2005 Alert Rules

Hi Topper,

you can create an alert rule for a machine status change. every event that causes a machines status to change (from normal to warning, error, etc) will raise the alert action which should be set to mail...

tell me if you need a more detailed description...
    Yaniv Feldman
    Microsoft Security Regional Director
    Microsoft Management Expert
    MCSA, MCSE, MCT

Comment

Yea more info please.

I suppose an alert for a change from

OK to Critical (or above).

How are these different from normal alerts?

Comment

when you create a new alert rule
        provide no source (in order for the rule to apply to all computers in that rule group and (if you want) no severity.
        if you want you can check the "only match alerts generated by the following group" and choose which gruop events you want to generate the alert from.
        for example in the JPG attached, i have an alert for all event exchange related but that section is usualy ment for more specific group (because i've already chosen the exchange related events by creating that alert rule under exchange server rule group).
        later on you choose always process data, and in the tab (action) you choose notification and configure the rest of your settings.

you need to create one alert rule such as this to every rule group (allthough not advised at all (unless you can read e-mails all day long ).
        Attached Files
        Yaniv Feldman
        MCSA, MCSE, MCT

Comment

Thanks, but that is exactly what i tried already and we just do not get any alerts.

When i set the alert directly on a sub folder (where the event rules are) it works fine and emails us but it seems stupid to have to have an alert rule on each individual subfolder.

Thanks
          Topper

Comment

As far as my knowledge goes, there is no inheritance down the rule group tree.

On the other hand, all the generic MPs come with pre-configured notification groups and the important alerts are already sent to those notification groups. All you are left to do is to add your details to the notification group and configure the notification group to send emails.
            Guy Teverovsky
            "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

from what i understand you seem to have some kind of a problem with your defenitions. allthough as guy said, there is not inheritance for rules in MOM, in this case, inheritance is not relevant.

the only reason i create the alert rule under a specific rule group is because i want the rule to apply all the computers in the computer group the rule group is associated with (wow, that was a long one... hope you got it ).

you can make any rule that will respond to events even not related to that rule group, but related to a copmuter group (came from another computer group that the specific machine is a members of).

i have applied what i've told dozens of times before and it worked just fine....
              please address directly to what you are trying to define (select something specific) and detail your work procedure. that will give me info about what you might be doing wrong and why it isn't work properly...
              Yaniv Feldman
              MCSA, MCSE, MCT

Comment

I think I'm practically there with the alerting, and our MOM infrastructure is pretty well setup and alerting on what we want.

But.................................

And it's a strange but, we have the SQL 2000 & 2005 MP installed, all the alerting seems to work fine. Under SQL 2000 | SQL Server Databases, we have a problem though.

Alerts are being generated properly and being logged in the operator console with the appropriate severity and the likes, but it's not firing a notification.

This looks simple at first glance "must be a problem with the alert rule which is monitoring that particular sub folder"..........but no.

It all looks fine and is even copied from one elsewhere (with the monitored folder changed), and if we copy an event rule and paste into same folder (without changing anything within that rule, literally just copy and paste), then alerts get logged and email notifications get sent (but just for the copied event not for the original event which still just gets logged in the console, ie. 2 in console and only 1 email)

I just don't want to go through each of the 55 events, copy n paste then remove old and rename.

Any ideas ?

Thanks for all the advice etc, Cheers.
                Topper

P.S. This is only happening on this particluar folder, all other (be it SQL or otherwise), are working perfectly.

Comment

from what i can understand from your things... it seems that from some reason, the copmuters in question are not members in the computer group that the rule group applies on (allthough it should be automaticly).

check under the agents container in the proeprties of the agent itself in what copmuter groups is he a member of, and try to add him manualy to the computer group that the SQL rule group applies on.

hope that would solve the problem...
                  Yaniv Feldman
                  MCSA, MCSE, MCT

Comment

Hi,

The computer assignments are working fine, as the alert is getting raised, just not emailed. (That is until we copy the event rule).

Topper

Comment

Try to diff your SQL MP with SQL MP downloaded from MS and look for changes.
                      If all else fails, I would backup the MP, and wipe&reload it.

I am attaching several slides from the presentation I gave on the subject at System Management usergroup. Unfortunately the full presentation is in Hebrew, but I have done a quick translation of the relevant parts.
                      Attached Files
                      Guy Teverovsky
                      "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Working...
                      X